• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows Installer is Broken!!

Chasepwner

n00b
Joined
Sep 14, 2006
Messages
10
Whenever I try to install programs that use the Windows Installer, I get an error saying "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed." I heard from a friend that this error was caused by a Windows update that released sometime in August. I have the most recent version of Windows Installer (3.1) and have tried many 'fixes' posted on the Microsoft site and some other sites. I'm trying to install America's Army 2.7, but after unzipping the game files I get the error. :(
 
Unhide system files in folder options. It's there if you're running XP.
 
Chasepwner said:
Only about half of that page is showing up and I can't scroll down.
:confused:
Try a different browser. The page works fine in IE6. You computer is probably messed up more than just the Windows installer.

Consider a repair installation or complete reinstall.
 
I'm considering doing a repair installation, but I have a question concerning that. My XP Home CD is SP1 and my computer has SP2 updated from SP1 on it. Will doing the repair installation revert me back to SP1? Will it do anything else to mess up the files on my computer?
 
Hmm, sorry...I was having the same problem on my buddy's laptop, but I gave up after several days of troubleshooting and just formatted and reinstalled windows to save time.
 
Chasepwner said:
I'm considering doing a repair installation, but I have a question concerning that. My XP Home CD is SP1 and my computer has SP2 updated from SP1 on it. Will doing the repair installation revert me back to SP1? Will it do anything else to mess up the files on my computer?

Make a SP2 XP disk from your SP1 XP disk. Use Slipstreamer to do it.

http://www.flexbeta.net/slipstreamerxp/
 
Back
Top