Windows Install Disk Not Starting up

brownkc

Gawd
I am upgrading the OS on my server from Windows XP to Windows Home Server and am having problems getting the OS to install. I would appreciate any guidance in trouble shooting the issue.

My Setup: Asus P4PE Motherboard, ATI 8500 AIW AGP, 2.53GHz Intel Chip, 1GB RAM, 6 HD (3 PATA, 3 SATA + one more to be installed later), 1 PCI PATA Controller Card, 1 PCI SATA Controller card , NEC 3500 DVD/CD-RW, Antec Trupower 380W

Only change since it was running Windows XP 24 hours earlier, was one 750 GB HD was replaced by another 750GB Hard (both SATA). I also shuffled some hard drives so all but one were disconnected and reconnected.

Prior to the upgrade, I moved all data to the 750GB drive and removed it to download via an external drive once the upgrade is complete. This was necessary because Windows Home Server supposedly wipes all of the drives. After switching out hard drives, I restarted the computer and changed the BIOS setting to boot from the optical drive. The optical drive and one hard drive are recognized initially and as the BIOS runs I can see the other drives pop up under their controller cards, so it appears all of the hard drives are recognized. After the IRQ/PCI info scrolls by, I get the message to press F1 to continue or delete to enter setup. If I press F1, it seems to search for something and I can see the DVD drive light running but the Windows installation never begins. Eventually, I get the message to press any key to reboot.

I have built a number of computers but this is a first for me. Your help is appreciated.

Just an update in case this will help someone else. After doing the usual troubleshooting, disconnect everything and start from bare bones, reset BIOS, etc., the problem was the DVD drive. The BIOS ran like normal but when it was time for the disc to start the install, all I heard was ticking (I'm guessing the read head moving back and forth) from the DVD drive. I replaced it with an old DVD ROM and the install started right up.

Back