Windows HTML Rendering Engine

AtomicFire

[H]ard|Gawd
--
Re-Installing Windows SP2 Fixed it!
--

So last night after getting all my new WC stuff put into the case, I boot up and I see that McAfee AV has failed an update. We get 8.0i Enterprise for free from the school (I like it because its clean, not IN-YOUR-FACE-OMG-VIRUS like regular home-user AV software) so i'm thinking simple, just uninstall, reinstall, that should fix it. Nope, I get some Framework error, so I google for 2 hours, and tried 2 things:

1. run a batch script that re-registers all DLL's in C:\Windows\System32
2. delete all traces of McAffee AV from registry and hard drive

Now that I look back, #1 seemed like a bad thing to do. McAffee works fine now, updates and works and all, but now my system has a sudden inability to render HTML. Program help menus\outlook\IE, anything that renders HTML doesn't work, even Counter-Strike, when you're joining a game and that window pops up in game showing server info - it'll kick me back to the desktop and ask me to download an html file. When I open Outlook 2003, the Today screen is apparently a HTML file because now every time I open Outlook, it asks me to download an HTML file while the Today window is blank. IE, any website you type in, it looks like its trying to connect (shows "waiting for reply" in the bottom) then just goes to a blank screen.

FireFox works fine though.

I tried Windows File Protection (check and re-copy all system files that may have been modified), reinstalling IE, virus scan (nothing came up) and NOTHING works.

Help me!

Things i've tried:

1. Windows File Protection scan + restore
2. regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll" - showed a success dialog, but didn't fix problem
3. IEFix - Reinstalled IE\Reregistered DLL's, Windows File Protection scan
4. Force reinstall of IE6SP1 with the /q command. Now I can't login at all, shows "User Interface Failure" at boot.
5. Re-Install Service Pack 2 - this fixed it!

Is the html filetype registered? Also, do you have system restore on? You might be able to roll back to before there were problems.

What update failed? Was it a virus definition? There haven't been any engine upgrades in a long time, as I've been running it at work since 8.0i came out, and haven't had any problems with it on our 55 machines.

sandmanx said:
Is the html filetype registered? Also, do you have system restore on? You might be able to roll back to before there were problems.

What update failed? Was it a virus definition? There haven't been any engine upgrades in a long time, as I've been running it at work since 8.0i came out, and haven't had any problems with it on our 55 machines.

*.htm\*.html is registed to IE, which is what I want (IE for quick viewing, FireFox for everything else), clicking on a html file will open IE, but I just get a blank page.

It was virus defs that failed. that problem is fixed now, but i'm pretty sure they update virus defs daily. Thanks for the help though.

I disabled System Restore because last time I used it, it borked all my programs, broke windows, and I had to reformat + reinstall. :(

AtomicFire said:
*.htm\*.html is registed to IE, which is what I want (IE for quick viewing, FireFox for everything else), clicking on a html file will open IE, but I just get a blank page.

It was virus defs that failed. that problem is fixed now, but i'm pretty sure they update virus defs daily. Thanks for the help though.

I disabled System Restore because last time I used it, it borked all my programs, broke windows, and I had to reformat + reinstall. :(

Hmmm, that's odd. I can't think of anything else that could cause an html file to do that.

The virus defs usually do update daily, sometimes twice a day.

Well, good luck. I'd backup and format, but I know that a lot of people like to avoid that. I do that as well on my servers, but don't worry much about the desktops.

Back