Windows Home Server

jratzo

Limp Gawd
I was a beta tester of home server (used it for a couple weeks, but didn't really have anything to keep it running on) but I never thought to try this... Can you run VMWARE on it? I'm assuming you can but I figured I would ask before reinstalling everything.

Persumably you'd be able to run it IN VMWARE or other virtual hardware apps, but wouldn't bank on having VMWARE installed onto home server. were you able to install any apps in home server? if so, look at the installers, if they are made for home server, and not xp/vista I wouldn't get any hopes up.

You may be able to. It's Server 2003 Small Business Edition with the WHS layer on top of it.

However, WHS is not designed to be used as a general-purpose, directly-manipulated server.

It is designed to be a headless/keyboardless server that sits in a corner and is managed remotely through a remote console, which does not have the standard windows interface.

You DO have full access to the standard windows interface (either locally or via RDC), but that's not it's intended use.

I fully expect that certain services and features of Server 2003 SBE have been removed or rendered inoperative.

What you want to do is uncharted territory, so it's hard to be sure.

You want to run WHS on VMWare or you want to run VMWare on WHS?

You want to run WHS on VMWare or you want to run VMWare on WHS?

VMWare on WHS

*Edit* I may see if I can reinstall my beta copy and then just test it on their. I don't have a server to put this on yet which is why I am in no rush

VMWare on WHS

*Edit* I may see if I can reinstall my beta copy and then just test it on their. I don't have a server to put this on yet which is why I am in no rush

I think you mean that you want to run WHS as a virtual machine, is that correct? I can't think of any reason that would prevent you from doing so.

Back