Windows Home Server Questions

Jinto

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking on wiki as to the capabilities of Home Server and noticed this:

A single folder namespace (no drive letters)

Is there any way to turn it off? I have a bunch of extra parts and I am thinking of making it into a NAS/Server. However I like separating the OS on a drive, downloads and other shares on another drive and my media like anime on a third drive. The media drive is in an external so that I can give to my friends or take it to some movie gathering etc. Is this doable still in Home Server? The wiki is making it sound like all the storage is seen as one big chunk. That has its advantages but for me it is a big problem.

You don't have to add drives to the storage pool. It can be separate and will be displayed in the home server console as being outside the pool.

On your system disk, it sets up a 20 gig OS partition and uses the rest of that disk as part of the pool. it needs that space as a landing pad for data before it is moved out onto the rest of the pool.

You might want to look into the full server product then. I'm sure it can be configured as a normal server, but WHS doesn't need separate partitions and such. There really isn't anything you need to keep separate because a WHS box is designed and intended to run headless. On your client system, you could map drive letters to those folders on the WHS box though.

Back