Windows Home Server Questions?

just been testing and watching my whs in vm and noticed any file i copy go to the pool on system drive (landing zone).
they are then moved to over drives i have installed pp1 pp2 and pp3 and the landing zone is still in use.
so i would recomend using largest drive you have as os and landing zone unles you and going to be moveing alot of files at one they dont move to other drive till the landing zone has stoped reciving data from what i have seen with disk managment anyway

one thing i notice is that if i move the files directly to the harddrive, then it take up the main OS. but if i move the files to a share folder then it goes to the other drive. This only comes into play when i first tried to move my data over after a fresh restart.

I RDP and use direct access to do all updates...... and I have no issues.

I dont really use the console much...... honestly. I use it to check the "lights out" status of all my clients.....

I just set up my windows home server. one of the main tasks I have for it is to host my video file. So far it works fairly well however I does not seem to handle MKV files or transcode natively. Does anyone know if there are any ways to get MKV / subtitle support on WHS?

I just set up my windows home server. one of the main tasks I have for it is to host my video file. So far it works fairly well however I does not seem to handle MKV files or transcode natively. Does anyone know if there are any ways to get MKV / subtitle support on WHS?

Are you playing mkvs on WHS, or just accessing them?

is 8760KB/s activity on a hdd slow or fast when transfering a file to whs file is 700mb takes about 2 to 6 minutes to transfer

is 8760KB/s activity on a hdd slow or fast when transfering a file to whs file is 700mb takes about 2 to 6 minutes to transfer

Wait, is that 8.7MB/s the speed of the file transfer between a PC and your WHS server via the network? Is the NIC on the PC 10/100 or Gigabit?

ok so the switch i put in hasent done a thing i was getting that thru the router but they dose seem to be less lag with the switch in

ok so the switch i put in hasent done a thing i was getting that thru the router but they dose seem to be less lag with the switch in

The switch CAN'T do anything about your 10/100 speeds unless the PC and WHS both have gigabit NICs. In addition, the switch must also support jumbo frames for even higher transfer speeds.

i was looking at this switch
Netgear GS605 5-port Gigabit Switch

just got to get a gigbit lan card for the server then some cat6 cables do you think i will get good speed then?

i was looking at this switch
Netgear GS605 5-port Gigabit Switch

just got to get a gigbit lan card for the server then some cat6 cables do you think i will get good speed then?

According to Invisibill statement's in your other thread, that switch isn't Gigabit despite what it says in all the specs. I'm inclined to believe him.

Also, as I said in your other thread, make sure that you get an Intel NIC for both the PC AND server if you want good transfer speeds.

I am running Windows XP 32-bit on my laptop and HP EX470 with PowerPack2 as my home server. I would like to upgrade to Windows7 64-bit, and from what I have read so far, I need to upgrade to PP3 first. At a later time I am planning to replace the HD in my laptop with an SSD. Is there a write-up or instructions I can read before I make these upgrades?
I havent been able to find much besides the instructions on upgrading to PP3. If I do that first, is a clean W7 install the next step? How do I then reinstall WHS-related software on my laptop? Thank You!

Well it doesnt really matter what order you do them in as its somewhat unrelated.

Anyways you should be running PP3.

I mean, there's nothing to order. I have an HP EX490, and PP3 came through as an update. I didn't have to order or request anything.

Back