Windows Home Server Format

Wil32

n00b
Is there anyway to add a drive the WHS without formatting it(storage pool)

Not that I know of. If you can see the disk in disk management you might be able to copy your data over to the pool and then add the drive using the console.

You can add a drive to WHS without formatting it. You cannot add a drive to the storage pool without formatting it. Once you install the disk, Disk Manager will assign it a drive letter. At this point you can copy any data over to the storage pool. Once you've moved the data over to the storage pool you can add the drive to the storage pool.

Long story short - adding a drive to the storage pool will wipe all data on that drive, adding it to the server itself will not.

Windows 2008 server /? i use that one on my second server and must say it is running good better than windows 2003 server.

aight, i got 2x500gb and 2x1tb, i will soon puchase 4x2tb: raid0 them. transfer all data from the 2x500 and the 2x1tb to them. make a raid0 with the 2x500 and raid0 the 2x1tb,

ultimatly i wanna get 20x2tb, My goal with that server is to have a Data server,
i dont need to have files oragnize, i use media portal to read music, and movies(it organize them, i just need to add the drives and it sort em out by movies, blurays, music, music vidoes ETC.

What i want from the OS is: Monitoring tools, temperature, space, delete duplicate files, renamer, well everything you basicly need to a data server.

If you got any idea tell me, im noob at this, if u got OS specification, software, etc

Thanks

Wil32

You might look at Ubuntu server, and the self-healing features of ZFS and opensolaris for data protection. Eon, a form of opensolaris, would also be a candidate.

Ben

Wil32, if I'm reading your requirements you want to throw data at your sever and have it automatically categorize that data for you? Another issue to consider is that putting a large number of drives in a RAID 0 configuration is asking to lose all your data. The more drives you add the greater the probability of a disk failure taking the entire array with it. That is why RAID 0 is called RAID 0 since there is no redundancy in the system and any failure will take down the entire array.

Benogil was giving you a couple of open source options that may help you with what you need. Ubuntu is a linux distro. ZFS = a file system developed by Sun and available in many open source distros include Open Solaris which is a open source version of the Sun Solaris operating system.

aight, i got 2x500gb and 2x1tb, i will soon puchase 4x2tb: raid0 them. transfer all data from the 2x500 and the 2x1tb to them. make a raid0 with the 2x500 and raid0 the 2x1tb,

ultimatly i wanna get 20x2tb, My goal with that server is to have a Data server,
i dont need to have files oragnize, i use media portal to read music, and movies(it organize them, i just need to add the drives and it sort em out by movies, blurays, music, music vidoes ETC.

What i want from the OS is: Monitoring tools, temperature, space, delete duplicate files, renamer, well everything you basicly need to a data server.

If you got any idea tell me, im noob at this, if u got OS specification, software, etc

Thanks

Wil32

RAID0 is an absolutely terrible idea for a data server. One little hickup and poof goes all your data.

It sounds like this is primarily a media server, and since you're talking about RAID0, you're not worried about backing up any data. I'd say stick with WHS. It allows selective duplication of files you deem important enough, and with will happily work with any size drive or combination of drives you through at it. Plus, you get the added benefit of backing up other computers in your house should you want to do that.

For those that aren't already familiar with the open source OS's, I think WHS is the best candidate for a home server.

Raid 0 on a file server? You must either be confused or terribly misinformed, because that is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do.

Just stick with WHS, and transfer the data to the pool before you add the drives.

Raid 0 on a file server? You must either be confused or terribly misinformed, because that is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do.

Just stick with WHS, and transfer the data to the pool before you add the drives.

+1

WHS should work well for you.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to make matters worse. I agree with the comments to just use WHS.

Ben

i was goig raid0 for performance, but it seems not to be a good idea, i will try to stick with WHS, but i will just put the share option on the drives from My Computer

What about Freenas

Last edited:
Wil32, WHS do everything you need it to.

I would not do any raid and just let WHS do the duplication for you. Just buy fast drives if you need speed and let the box take care of the rest.

/huggles his WHS box.

Back