Windows Home Server FAQ

Do you not have enough freespace to remove a drive?
yeah I think so, I just wasn't sure how it works since you don't see what is stored on each drive
do I just remove a seagate, put a wd in and let it balance, then repeat?

dwpa95.png

Yea just do a remove and replace one at a time.
Be patient as it will take a long time.

ill buy some 1.5tbs from you if you decide to pull them. :D

Yea just do a remove and replace one at a time.
Be patient as it will take a long time.

ill buy some 1.5tbs from you if you decide to pull them. :D
ok, thanks
I'll let you know if I decide to swap

I heard a clicking sound from the WHS for a few minutes earlier tonight so not sure what's going on

I'd just like to post this incase anyone runs into this problem like I did.
I had been using an Nvidia 7050/630i based motherboard for my WHS box for a few weeks. I decided to add a gigabit Nic, switch and run it at full speed with my desktop and laptops.
Anyways, When I first set this up, I ran the driver install CD that came with the computer and it said it installed drivers and rebooted and I thought all was good. I was transfering at the max the 100Mb connection would go.
After putting in all the Gb equipment, my transfers were still running at 100Mb speeds or roughly 10-12MB/sec. I tried all new cables, reloaded drivers, 2 different switches. the works. I spent 2 days dicking with all the settings for the NIC cards, even though they (on both machines) reported as being connected at 1Gbps. The indicator light on the switch showed 1Gbps. But still only transfering at 100Mb speeds.
I spent a few hours googling and finding out that not many people were using this motherboard chipset on a WHS install. Nvidia didn't have any drivers that would work, I tried many, many variations hoping something would work, but Windows 2000, Windows XP, XP 64bit, Vista 32bit nor Vista 64-bit drivers worked.( except for video). I noticed my SATA controllers weren't showing up as Sata, but as IDE ports. Now through all my reading about my problems and other various issues with WHS not supporting RAID. I had an idea. I went into the BIOS, enabled the nvidia RAID rebooted, Once I logged in, windows recognized the RAID controller, installed the drivers, and then detected all the drives connected to the STA ports. Now, in device manager I still had IDE controllers listed, but I also had the Nvidia RAID SCSI controller listed. I did a 4GB file transfer and now we're talking, it was going at 60MBps, so something that was taking 5 minutes before to tranfser was now taking less than a minute.

So hopefully this helps someone.

I plan on migrating my WHS setup to a Norco case in the next couple of months. I'll replace my 2-port and 4-port SATA add-in cards at that time with a pair of AOC-SAT2-MV8's (in addition to 6 onboard SATA ports).

Question: Can I swap in the cards and plug my WHS pool drives in without doing the move data to pool/add drive to pool shuffle?

[LYL]Homer;1033940746 said:
If you have free SATA ports you can add the WD's before you start removing the Seagates.
how do I tell it to move the data off the seagates?

How can I run multiple websites on my WHS? I was trying to adjust the hostheader on Default website and WHS Website to <myserver>.homeserver.com, then my website <myname>.com, but when I would go to <myname>.com, it would be pulling files from the Default Web Site directory. If I went to <myname>.com/index.html, it would work fine. I even added index.html and the beginning default document.

How can I run multiple websites on my WHS? I was trying to adjust the hostheader on Default website and WHS Website to <myserver>.homeserver.com, then my website <myname>.com, but when I would go to <myname>.com, it would be pulling files from the Default Web Site directory. If I went to <myname>.com/index.html, it would work fine. I even added index.html and the beginning default document.

http://www.andrewgrant.org/whiist

No need to mess with the default site... I would put it all back to default.

IIRC because I don't actually use it anymore, you can set the default page.

Not what i'm looking for. It just adds another directory nname.homeserver.com/newsite
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Has anyone set up a blog or publicy accessible website on their WHS? I tried using the MS web installer to get all the needed components and dasblog installed, but I haven't a clue as to what to do to actually modify the site. I try to get to the page and I can't authenticate to it.

Ive done it with Graffiti.

I dont know what you did, but I would use Whist to create another site, then install Graffiti.
Im assuming that you could do the same with MS websintaller thing dashblog etc.

Ive done it with Graffiti.

I dont know what you did, but I would use Whist to create another site, then install Graffiti.
Im assuming that you could do the same with MS websintaller thing dashblog etc.

OK, I got Graffiti to work last night. Now my GF can leave me alone about having her own blog.
Well I guess I'm not as done as I thought. I can access the blog page, but I can't log into it remotely :(

Last edited:
What are you guys using for anti-virus and software firewall solutions ?

I already have a lot of recommendation for Avast, and now they are offering the Family Pro package which comes with 1 license for WHS and 10 license for 10 other PCs. So I think I'm going for that. But I can't find anything on Avast that is has a software firewall solution.

So...what do you use for AV+FW solutions ? Is it a combination of different products ? Is it a single suite of a product ? Which ?

Any info you can share will be great !

I'm hoping to very soon move my HDDs to a dedicated WHS system.

What are you guys using for anti-virus and software firewall solutions ?

I already have a lot of recommendation for Avast, and now they are offering the Family Pro package which comes with 1 license for WHS and 10 license for 10 other PCs. So I think I'm going for that. But I can't find anything on Avast that is has a software firewall solution.

So...what do you use for AV+FW solutions ? Is it a combination of different products ? Is it a single suite of a product ? Which ?

Any info you can share will be great !

I'm hoping to very soon move my HDDs to a dedicated WHS system.

I don't use software firewalls. My hardware firewall varies depending on what I'm experimenting with at the time (router built-in, Untangle, PFSense). I use AVG Free on my desktops, I don't remember what I installed on my WHS. I'll check tonight.

I use Avast on WHS, AVG free on clients. But if they would have offered the family pack deal when I got Avast I probably would have gone with that.

I don't use software firewalls. My hardware firewall varies depending on what I'm experimenting with at the time (router built-in, Untangle, PFSense). I use AVG Free on my desktops, I don't remember what I installed on my WHS. I'll check tonight.

Yeah, screw software firewalls. That's why you have a router with a firewall.

Anyone have issues restoring after PP2? I switched my htpc to windows 7 and want to go back to vista but every backup has stalled about halfway through. I tried 2 other pcs and their restores and fail those also.

guys i have a question, i have a hard drive set as backup for the files on my server. I needed to do a new server installation so i took and removed the backup drive from the storage from the console window. I then pulled the drive completely from the server so there was no chance of accidently formatting it. Well now that the server software has been reinstalled i put the drive back in and added it to the server backup option. How should i be pulling that data off of that backup hard drive to put back in the shared folder, am i missing a setting? I have been just copying the contents from E: which is where the backup hard drive is to the Shared foldrs on Server shortcut on the desktop, is that incorrect way of doing so cause i noticed that the C: filled all the way up and about then it freezes up. should i just redo it again and put that backup drive in another computer and put the file back on that way or what.

guys i have a question, i have a hard drive set as backup for the files on my server. I needed to do a new server installation so i took and removed the backup drive from the storage from the console window. I then pulled the drive completely from the server so there was no chance of accidently formatting it. Well now that the server software has been reinstalled i put the drive back in and added it to the server backup option. How should i be pulling that data off of that backup hard drive to put back in the shared folder, am i missing a setting? I have been just copying the contents from E: which is where the backup hard drive is to the Shared foldrs on Server shortcut on the desktop, is that incorrect way of doing so cause i noticed that the C: filled all the way up and about then it freezes up. should i just redo it again and put that backup drive in another computer and put the file back on that way or what.

When you reinstalled did you make sure everything was updated? IE you had the latest powerpack? Make sure you have replication/duplication turned off of the folders you want to dump the data into, otherwise it's going to start duplicating when you copy and could mess stuff up. After you copy the files in, wipe the old drive and add it back to the pool or leave it aside and then turn on duplication.

I just purchased a new dual Opteron based mobo, an Arima HDAMA rev. E (aka AccelerTech ATO2161I) and installed two Opteron 248's along with 8x1GB DDR2100 ECC Registered and am trying to install Windows Home Server.

Upon installation I get a screen that says the computer is "not ACPI compliant", enable it in the BIOS. I checked in the BIOS and ACPI is enabled. If I also enable "ACPI SRAT Table" (ACPI 2.0?) along with ACPI I get a BSOD that also says the motherboard is "not ACPI compliant". I also tried Windows Server 2003 x64 and it also reported the same issue, as does Windows Vista 32 and 64...

To rule out hardware failure, I ran Memtest86+ and it passed with no errors on the RAM. (ECC is enabled as well as ChipKill ECC, ECC foreground scrubbing is disabled) I also tried with just 1GB of memory installed and I get the same issue.

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I need to update the BIOS? I know this motherboard is older but it is perfectly capable hardware wise for my needs and would be a shame to not be able to use it as if this doesn't work I will have to purchase another motherboard.

I got the whole setup for $150 and was hoping to replace the pitiful 3.2GHz P4 my home server is running now.

I had just set up my Dell Precision 670 with WHS. If i use "back up now" how long will it take to back up total data of 725GB?

I just purchased a new dual Opteron based mobo, an Arima HDAMA rev. E (aka AccelerTech ATO2161I) and installed two Opteron 248's along with 8x1GB DDR2100 ECC Registered and am trying to install Windows Home Server.

Upon installation I get a screen that says the computer is "not ACPI compliant", enable it in the BIOS. I checked in the BIOS and ACPI is enabled. If I also enable "ACPI SRAT Table" (ACPI 2.0?) along with ACPI I get a BSOD that also says the motherboard is "not ACPI compliant". I also tried Windows Server 2003 x64 and it also reported the same issue, as does Windows Vista 32 and 64...

To rule out hardware failure, I ran Memtest86+ and it passed with no errors on the RAM. (ECC is enabled as well as ChipKill ECC, ECC foreground scrubbing is disabled) I also tried with just 1GB of memory installed and I get the same issue.

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I need to update the BIOS? I know this motherboard is older but it is perfectly capable hardware wise for my needs and would be a shame to not be able to use it as if this doesn't work I will have to purchase another motherboard.

I got the whole setup for $150 and was hoping to replace the pitiful 3.2GHz P4 my home server is running now.

Try disabling it.
Then Call tech support and ask.

You know, even your 3.2ghz P4 is overkill for WHS. It doesn't take much power at all.

You know, even your 3.2ghz P4 is overkill for WHS. It doesn't take much power at all.

Yea but I bet others (besides myself) use their WHS for more than just shared folders.
I mean this is the [H]ard forum.

Personally my WHS host 7 VM's
I have 3 GPU's in there for Folding and encoding.
I also use it to keep up with my TV encodes.
its a Digital Cable PVR

There is so much that can be done on this platform.

But for just file sharing you dont need much.
Back when WHS was pre-beta until this past summer, I was running mine on a PIII 733mhz box and it ran fine.
However I quickly realized the potential of WHS and built a monster. I dont regret it.

U have gigabit? If not... sit back and relax, for a day, or two.

I dont have much knowlege on the Dell Precision 670. It looks like it has "Integrated PCI-X 64-bit Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit4 Ethernet" This pc was given to me last week so I havent really looked into details of it, but I decided to use it as a server. Your right though, 1 hour so far and its only at 3% :p

Yea but I bet others (besides myself) use their WHS for more than just shared folders.
I mean this is the [H]ard forum...

You wouldn't happen to have any links on how to setup VM's on WHS to do tasks like what you have yours do, would you?

I'm considering converting my desktop that I currently have as a server whenever I build my new Core i7 system. I believe my specs would be overkill for just file sharing and streaming HD videos around my house. Since I don't really have anything else I could use and I already have these parts, I would want to make sure that I'm using all of my resources on the server.

Just install VMware Server as you normally would.
You can set it to start up the VM's when the systems starts, and shut down when you shut down.

It creates a lil web server so you can manage it from any web browser on your LAN.

Really nothing special to it, WHS is just Server2003 with a bunch of specialized apps. You can install other software on it just as if it were plain 2003.

If you have other questions when you do it feel free to PM me.

there is an issue with backups with pp2. Try to open any of them and they fail at 81%, you have the issue.

Only way to fix this is to delete them all and cleanup the backups. Then they work from now on.

I lost all mine from over a year old. Good thing i didnt need anything on them i guess.

I mean this is the [H]ard forum.

Personally my WHS host 7 VM's
I have 3 GPU's in there for Folding and encoding.
I also use it to keep up with my TV encodes.
its a Digital Cable PVR

There is so much that can be done on this platform.

But for just file sharing you dont need much.
Back when WHS was pre-beta until this past summer, I was running mine on a PIII 733mhz box and it ran fine.
However I quickly realized the potential of WHS and built a monster. I dont regret it.

ah yes, you are right.

For me personally I just can't see using WHS for anything more than just file serving. I do all that stuff on my desktop or my HTPC. I just don't want to introduce any potential issues to the server that is hosting and protecting my data.

Back