Windows Home Server Cube

The problem boils down to drivers from what I can tell. WHS is built on Server 2k3. The one card has no 2k3 drivers I can find, can't even get WHS to recognize it during setup using XP, Vista, or 2k drivers. The Promise one has 2k3 drivers, and you can start the install, but only works until the first reboot when the system bluescreens.

The Promise works fine in other systems under XP and 2k running non-RAIDed drives, so I don't know what's making WHS puke over that. The other card can do non-RAID, but has to be reflashed to a non-RAID BIOS, and the manufacturer doesn't provide a way to do that. Has a Silicon Image chipset, but the SI flash tools don't work.

Ah well, it's all sort of unimportant now. I should have the new board today or tomorrow, hopefully have WHS going by tomorrow night, and then I'll give a crack at getting the RAID card installed if only to use the two external ports for more storage. If that works, I'll start the next project. That'll be a matching two drive external SATA enclosure.

Back