Windows Home Server as Firewall/Router

itanium

Limp Gawd
I have done a search and cant find any answer.

Does WHS have anything built in to make it function like a Firewall/Router?

It does not designed to do this. It's based off Windows 2003 which has Internet Connection Sharing, but I wouldn't recommend using it. Just get a cheap $50 router and be done.

Windows has ICS...but....yeah, "Why"? It's crummy at its best. Plus you have a Windows OS exposed on your WAN interface...yikes!!! Talk about formatting and reinstalling on a monthly basis.

I'd lookup untangle, or pfSense. These would work for you a lot better than a 50$ linksys router or something would.. And pfSense you can install on very old hardware.

You could install VMware server and then run Untangle or pfSense inside a virtual machine if you don't want to buy an additional piece of equipment. I'm doing that now on my home server. You need another NIC and then turn off all the protocols on it from within network connections, use it in VMware as the outside interface for the router/utm.

You could install VMware server and then run Untangle or pfSense inside a virtual machine if you don't want to buy an additional piece of equipment. I'm doing that now on my home server. You need another NIC and then turn off all the protocols on it from within network connections, use it in VMware as the outside interface for the router/utm.

I will be very interested to hear about how this turns out.

Luckily my server board has dual NICs.

Back