Windows Hangs Before it Starts- 5 mins later it goes

Loath

n00b
Hi. I just newly installed Win XP 32 bit. on my 64 bit comp. I know it isnt supposed to matter.
It keeps hanging at start up. It resumed later, but its ridiculous how long it takes to get going.
What is odd is that it hung all the way through the setup as well. 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, then it would go on with the setup. I dont get it. My other computer is the same damn thing and it works fine. No hanging at all.

Can someone please explain some process to figure out what is doing this and fixing it? It pisses me off so much Im about to hurt myself.

-Loath

You chould check your BIOS to make sure you have things you are not using disabled. Like if you are not using onboard sound, disable it. Same for extra NIC's on the board and stuff. disable any boot devices you are not using. After that, I would check to make sure you have all your drivers updated. I don't think MS offers BootVis as a download anymore, but basically it just went through your MSConfig and disabled things on startup and I think it did some registry tweaks to get drivers to load faster. Not sure exactly what it did. If you can find a version of BootVis, it probably hasn't been updated in a while, so it might not be the best choice.

Just used bootvis. It seems that between last night and today the computer just will not even turn off. Just hangs at Windows is Shutting down. This problem happened with x64 installation that was previously on there. WTF?! Something is clearly fuct. Comp is a brand new venice core AMD.

The main delay in my boot is nvatabus.sys. I tried updating it to no avail. It doesnt seem to be able to fix itself. I also did Bootvis optimise. What should I do to fix these issues?

Installed SP2. This fixed the reboot/shutdown hang. Still dealing with the boot hang, not sure wtf is going on, nvata is still raping me.

Real quick question though

I checked my NVidia RAID class controller and Serial ATA Raid Controller both do not see my drives. Although the drives obviously work. I am using PATA to SATA convertors, does the computer see through this?

My Nvidia Nforce4 ADMA controller however is registering my drives. I wonder if this confusion within the computer is giving the 2 minute boot time?

If your system isnt properly recognising a drive on start-up, the system will hang for monsterous amounts of time. I had a board drop its SATA controller, and had to boot to a PATA drive to get in and transfer files.... boot-up time was well past 5 minutes as you described. If this just started recently, it means you've probably dropped a controller. :( (Mine dropped 3 days after I installed it and got it replaced with free next day shipping from NewEgg) My only suggestion is to disable in BIOS the Controller thats giving you trouble, and make sure nothing is connected to it when you restart.

While I hate to say it... if you enjoy that particular board, and want to have use of that controler, you might need to replace it.

Loath said:
Installed SP2. This fixed the reboot/shutdown hang. Still dealing with the boot hang, not sure wtf is going on, nvata is still raping me.

Real quick question though

I checked my NVidia RAID class controller and Serial ATA Raid Controller both do not see my drives. Although the drives obviously work. I am using PATA to SATA convertors, does the computer see through this?

My Nvidia Nforce4 ADMA controller however is registering my drives. I wonder if this confusion within the computer is giving the 2 minute boot time?

Here's a post I saw a few days ago, 2 other ppl having the same problem, and they were both using Hitachi drives. You might have to do a secure wipe of your drive......look here

Back