Windows freezes on cold boot?

Fox2k

Gawd
hey guys, im having an issue with my system right now..basically whenever i turn the computer on, windows 2000 freezes halfway through the second loading screen (the one with the scrolling / fading blue and white bar). If i hit teh reset button, it loads fine. I restored an old ghost image yesterday, but i'm still having the same problem as before which leads me to believe its not a software problem. I've recently repalced the power supply, as well as added some more ram. I wasnt having this problem for the first few weeks after this new hardware was put in. The new ram was acting up so I took it out, and I was hoping it might have been the cause of this problem but nope, still cant cold boot properly. Any ideas as to what might be causing this other than the power supply (I doubt this is the case becuase its brand new and was working for the first few weeks), but as a last resort i could go buy a second one and test it out.

related specs are:
Windows 2000 sp4
P4 2.4b running stock
512 samsung pc1066
asus p4t533-c
2 x wd raptors stripped
Enermax 520W psu

I know you might not like it, but I've found that the brute-force method of reinstalling the OS can solve otherwise perplexing OS boot and stability problems. If anything, it saves a lot of hours of fruitless troubleshooting.

Back