Windows freeze prior to login

Panda Man

Limp Gawd
I started up my comp when i got home today, and in btw the windows splash screen and login the system will freeze and not respond. I've tried booting in safe mode, booting with last known config, etc, but to no avail. Normally i would try the recovery console at this point, but i have a slight problem: My CD/DVD drive completely failed on me over a week ago and the replacement won't be here until this Friday (grrr, UPS ground) so anyways, I was just wondering if there was any way to boot from a floppy into the recovery console, or if there is anything i can do period.

If you cd drive failed on you temporarily remove it from your computer and see if it boots then.

already tried, its stopped spinning completely :\ and i mailed it back the 14th also.

Unplug everything but the basics (ram, hd, cpu, video) and see if it still has trouble.

still no go, and memtest86+ pased 28 times with 0 errors, so im convinced this is a software issue. I think a clean insall of xp is all i can do, i used the xp setup boot disks and went into recovery console and tried everything i could except fixmbr (heh, i figured that would just make things worse), to no avail.

Did you try testing the hard drive out with the manufacturers diagnostic tools?

not yet, i figured chkdsk would have helped if there was anything wrong with the drive. Everything works fine until login, im still convinced that a fresh install is in order, its been a while since i've done a fresh install anyways.

fwiw, I had a similar problem with my HTPC last night. Froze in exactly the same place you mention. I tried unplugging everyting but ram, vc, cpu. Still no go. What finally solved it was I just reseated the ram and it booted right up. This was after a good couple hours of cussing and beating things. Memtest passed the quick tests. I was ready to re-image it when WinPE wouldn't even boot. So that's when I took the ram out and tested one stick at a time.

CHKDSK is not nearly as extensive as the manufacturers checking tool. Go get that.

thnx for the tip about reseating the RAM, i tried taking one stick out and running it, no dice, and then i took the other one out and reseated the other stick, still no go, then i put both back in, but to no avail. Ran the manufactorers checking tool (PowerMAX),
and everything passed. Sorry for the response times that makes windows 95 look good, with no comp in my room its kinda hard to get back here.

Back