Windows File Sharing Voodoo

Celicu

n00b
Machine:
Win XP Pro w/ SP2 and the latest hotfixes
Shuttle SN41G2
2x512 MB PC3200 Corsair
2x250 GB Maxtor HDs

I disabled Simple File Sharing, several user accounts, and shared several folders (right click->Sharing and Security->Share this folder). The only group in the Permissions tab is Everyone and it has Read access only. Windows Firewall disabled. I've been doing this on a couple of friends' networks for a couple of years and everything has been peachy.

Now when I go to access the server machine from another machine, I get the login prompt. I enter the user information for the account I created. I see the shared folders. Now the problem occurs when you look in the shared folders. On the server, there will be 20 files. When looking at the shared folder on the remote machine, I'll only see something like 15 files. It seems completely random which files it chooses to share. Some folders will display all their contents. Some won't. None of the files are Hidden. None of the folders are Hidden. No firewalls. The same set of files displays on each machine on the network. I thought my nic might be crazy, but I get exactly the same results when using my wireless card to connect to the network. I've obviously got something wrong on the server machine, but I don't know where to look! Any suggestions?

Back