Windows Fall Creator's Update - 100% cpu - software glitches

mncd

n00b
I tried installing the Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update about 2 months ago. After installation, I could no longer save anything in Autodesk 3ds max. If I saved a file, max would instantly crash (I believe the file actually did save successfully first -- but then the crash would occur immediately afterward). I noticed this almost immediately after the installation of the Windows update and could not waste time trying to troubleshoot so I rolled back Windows to it's pre-update state.

Today, I tried updating again, hoping that the Windows update package would have been modified to fix the bizarre behavior I was experiencing. However, the symptoms were exactly the same today after I tried to install it again.

I also noticed everything was running very slowly and saw that CPU usage was pinned at 100% and there were no taxing applications running in either the foreground or background. I don't know if the 100% cpu was there last time but it's very possible.

Has anyone experienced this strange CPU load and other software glitches after updating to Fall Creator ?

After you do a new install, one of the Windows services, I think the Windows installer service, is going to hit the CPU hard for a while. On older machines/HDD's I have seen it take an hour or two to clear up. On my newer systems it doesn't seem to have any noticeable impact. Not sure what your specs are.

Regarding Autodesk, there may be an update that adds compatibility for 10. Without knowing the version you are running we don't know if it's compatible or not.

I would recommend doing a clean install of 10 1709, and wait about 10-15 minutes to let it install drivers. Then run Windows Update and install the latest update. Reboot then open Task Manager and keep an eye on the CPU. Wait for it to drop back to 0% then proceed with reloading apps. That should clear up your issues.

Hi, thank you for your comment.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing a "clean" install of 10 1709. Are you talking about using the Reset Windows feature after the long update process? Or maybe doing Reset Windows BEFORE doing the Creator's update? Please clarify.

Incidentally, I believe on my computer the service that was hitting 100% was iDrive -- an online back-up service that I recently installed -- which is another thing that made me think something was very buggy because it's a lightweight app. Anyway, I don't believe the load (at least as it showed up in Task Manager) was from a Windows process -- although what you said does make sense.

Hi, thank you for your comment.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing a "clean" install of 10 1709. Are you talking about using the Reset Windows feature after the long update process? Or maybe doing Reset Windows BEFORE doing the Creator's update? Please clarify.

Incidentally, I believe on my computer the service that was hitting 100% was iDrive -- an online back-up service that I recently installed -- which is another thing that made me think something was very buggy because it's a lightweight app. Anyway, I don't believe the load (at least as it showed up in Task Manager) was from a Windows process -- although what you said does make sense.
What I mean by doing a clean install is creating a bootable installation disk, booting to it, clearing the installation disk of all volumes, and installing Windows. This completely blows away all old files so you need to make sure you have everything backed up. It is the truest way to completely clear out old crud from Windows if something is corrupted.

While not as nice as going all-in and reinstalling everything, one fix that has worked for me (more than once) is to re-install Windows from an ISO. Just install it on top of your current version. You can download ISO's of the major latest versions of Win 10 from Microsoft. From there, just open the ISO package and run the setup executable.
That has worked when rollbacks and normal fixes have failed for me. You'll see need to download subsequent updates ("Patch Tuesday" type stuff), but it's pretty clean and it leaves all of your programs/games/settings/etc. intact.

Back