Windows fails to load/boot?

CRXican

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently, my PC has been restarting randomly. The odd part is it usually happens when I'm just browsing the internet. Until last night I haven't had any issues when gaming (BF2 and NFS:MW). The one BSOD I saw and the "system has recoverd from a serious error" messages pointed to driver issues so I cleaned the video drivers and re-installed them and thought the problem was fixed.

Only after gaming did the problems occur until last night BF2 froze leaving me with a loud beep/screech from my headphones. I did a hard restart and made it into windows but soon after the machine reset.

Currently I can boot into BIOS, make changes etc, but as soon as the last step in bios completes (verifiying DMI pool data I believe), it fails to continue onto the Windows XP splash screen. The screen goes black but does not power down which really confuses me.

I tried swapping video cards and also removed my Audigy 2 to narrow down a hardware issue and the same thing happens. Now I'm coming to you guys for help.

nice description but try posting your hardware (power supply included). Also what if anything changed or got plugged into the computer lately?

It could be anything keeping it from booting - corrupt files from the last crash, bad ram, cpu, PSU, etc. Can you boot into SAFE MODE?

I tried booting into safe mode once, didn't work. Nothing has been changed lately but I've only had this PC up and running for few months. Parts include:

Chaintech VNF3-250 Skt 754 mobo
AMD 3700+ Clawhammer
512x2 Kingston HyperX DDR400
eVGA 6800GT AGP
WD 250GB SATA HD
WD 120GB IDE HD
Plextor PX-712A
Xclio 450watt PSU
Audigy 2

The processor, ram, opitical drive, IDE HD, and video card have been used in of other systems. The PSU, the 250GB hard drive, and the motherboard are new to this build.

Back