Windows failed to format; drive now corrupted?

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
314
I have a Seagate Barracuda 400GB HDD that I removed from an old system. I connected it externally to my current system with a SATA/USB cable and power adapter. When I tried to format the drive, an error massage came up saying Windows could not complete the format. The drive then became inaccessible, with the following error message:



Further attempts to format have again failed.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
 
Try opening a command prompt and using the diskpart tool, list and select the disk, and run a "clean" command on the drive to zero out the partition table. Just make sure you pick the right disk and don't wipe out your boot drive.
 
You could try using SeaTools to zero out the drive, and then try formatting again.

I know this is not directly related to your original question, but it may help - I once was trying to encrypt a disk using Windows BitLocker through an external adapter. It failed twice in a row. I tried a different external adapter and it succeeded. You may need to try another adapter? Or you could try inserting it internally.
 
You could try using SeaTools to zero out the drive, and then try formatting again.

I know this is not directly related to your original question, but it may help - I once was trying to encrypt a disk using Windows BitLocker through an external adapter. It failed twice in a row. I tried a different external adapter and it succeeded. You may need to try another adapter? Or you could try inserting it internally.

Would go this route and try to zero the drive
 
Back
Top