Windows Explorer Hijacking Media Keys

keenan

2[H]4U
This has bugged me a few times since I installed Windows 7, but I never really spent any time on it, just closed the WMP window and clicked the button instead. Tonight I've had enough.

When I have Windows Explorer in focus and a media file selected, press the Play/Pause button on my keyboard starts WMP (not even the default player for the filetype, and it's not running in the background that I can see) and plays the file. If I have a non-media file selected, the hotkey is just trapped and does nothing. In any other application, the global hotkeys I have registered in foobar2000 work fine.

I can't find an option to control this. Advice?

Edit: I've managed to get WMP not to start by disabling access via the control panel, but the shortcut keys are still getting hijacked by Explorer.

Last edited:
press the Play/Pause button on my keyboard starts WMP

I'm not sure we can help you without knowing what keyboard you are using. I would guess it's your keyboard drivers opening WMP, and there may or may not be anything you can do about that.

I'm not sure we can help you without knowing what keyboard you are using. I would guess it's your keyboard drivers opening WMP, and there may or may not be anything you can do about that.

Don't have any keyboard drivers installed. I hate that junky keyboard software, the keys work fine with the standard HID driver that ships with Windows. Or used to with XP and do outside Explorer, anyway...

Keyboard is a "Logitech Elite Keyboard".

Last edited:
This annoys me to no end as well. Is there a solution?

I just want Explorer to ignore and let my media keys be passed on to foobar2000 (usually) like all other programs do, instead of launching whichever media file is highlighted when I want to pause the music in foobar, etc.

My keyboard is a Logitech G11 if it matters, but I think Explorer's the one misbehaving.

Back