• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows Experience Index Dropped after upgrade??

peanutskeeter

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 30, 2010
Messages
159
I had a pair of 2 HIS 5770 video cards Xfired up until today and I got a hell of a deal on 3 ASUS 5870s. Now when I have the 5870s crossfired x3 my subscores for "graphics" and "gaming graphics" is only 6.0. When they are crossfired x2 my scores jump to 7.8. Any idea why the x3 crossfire setup isn't seeming to register with Windows?
 
Last edited:
Possibly due to lower PCI-E speed when running 3x if the board doesn't run all at x16? Just making an assumption though not sure if/how much it would affect performance.


WEI is a marketing gimmick, and should be ignored.
LOL This too..

Run some benches and see your scores since that is what really matters and play some games.
 
yeah, don't give a shit about what windows is saying and fire them babies up for some gaming action
 
.......................................

Seriously, someone needs to end the WEI misery with a bullet to its brain.
 
So I ran a couple of benches with x2 and then x3 and unbelievably the results were consistently higher with x2?! What the hell is going on here?! Ideas??
 
So I ran a couple of benches with x2 and then x3 and unbelievably the results were consistently higher with x2?! What the hell is going on here?! Ideas??

Dont worry about the number, its a ploy for you to spend more money on upgrades that you wont need.
 
Even though you replaced ATI hardware with ATI hardware, I would do a fresh driver install to get rid of any bad registry entries. I do agree that the WEI score is pretty bogus though.
 
So I ran a couple of benches with x2 and then x3 and unbelievably the results were consistently higher with x2?! What the hell is going on here?! Ideas??

1) WEI is for low end cards, it's rudimentary benchmark falls apart for higher end cards.

2) It isn't fullscreen, so no CF/SLI

3) ATI's driver doesn't even bother switching to 3d clocks because it isn't demanding enough.

Seriously, just ignore the number. WEI is useful for people with budget systems who have no clue what in their system isn't good enough to play games, and *that's it*. It has no place at even a midrange market, and it wasn't designed to handle high end cards.

Now you asked for help, and people told you to just use an actual game or benchmark and ignore WEI - so start fucking ignoring it because it is completely useless here. It's about as meaningful as rolling dice.
 
A lot of times cards will be 'benched' at their idle speeds so windows just runs with it and gives you a number that's meaningless.
 
Yeah, WEI seems to have very peculiar ways it measures performance. It's absolutely worthless. Don't look at it. If you look at it again, we'll have to take your video cards away. Okay? :p
 
If your x3 setup is worse in games as well as the WEI bench, something is definitely messed up. Which drivers are you running?
 
If your x3 setup is worse in games as well as the WEI bench, something is definitely messed up. Which drivers are you running?

I am running the ASUS drivers that came with the cards. I ended up taking back the 3rd card because for $300 it wasn't worth the teeny itty bitty bit of gain I was going to be receiving even if I got it to working like it should have been in the first place. Everything seems good with my x2 5870 setup now though.
 
I'm wondering if the problem was with the outdated drivers. I'm interested to find out if the score improves after a driver update.
 
I had major problems with the driver upon installation, I'm assuming because the ati drivers are contracted thru asus. I installed the 5870 drivers after a 5770 install. I did a driver sweep and everything but they wouldn't take so I finally formatted and the drivers took ok. I will be giving the updated drivers a shot before .long.
 
FWIW, when I went from 9.12 catalyst drivers to 10.6, my WEI fell from 7.2 to 6.0.
 
Back
Top