Windows error n. 5

jjk454ss

n00b
Does anyone know what this error means:

Windows error n. 5
Access is denied

I am trying to make an F6 disk to install Vista 64 bit on a RAID setup, but I keep getting this error trying to make the disk.

You don't have to use a floppy with Vista - put the RAID drivers on a CD (CDRW is perfect just for this job then erase it and use it for something else), a DVD (DVD+RW again is perfect), or use a USB thumbdrive. You'll be able to browse the content of the CD/DVD or USB device to locate the .inf file to install the RAID drivers.

Vista doesn't have the limitation of just using a floppy like XP does, that's one of the new benefits to Vista.

So get crackin'...

As for the error, I've never seen such an error in almost 2000 Vista installs so far, never seen such a thing in XP or 2K either, and yes I do have a floppy drive and yes I do still use it. :)

I have just received a new HP nx7400 with Vista preinstalled onit. I tried to join it to our domain which it did after a couple of attempts.

However the login is now pitifully slow. So after a while I blatted it and went to install XP Pro, only to find that I need a 3rd party driver as the nx7400 has a SATA hd.

I got this driver from the HP website and it came in way of a floppy image. When I ran this to create a floppy disk (on a Vista PC) I get the error N.5.

I ran the create floppy from our server 2003 and no problem.

Laptop now running XP Pro and fast and sweet.

I am still a Vista fan but I do think (hope!) that a SP1 should hopefully iron out these issues.

Back