Windows emulator for windows? Multiple instances

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey I'm looking for a program for windows xp that will let me run a separate instance of windows.

I used to run a program for work on my home computer. I installed something else and since then, whenever I run the original program it immediately crashes, doesn't even open.

Something I installed must have put in a registry key that's conflicting with my work program, because I uninstalled everything that I've installed since the problem arose. And I'm not prepared to reformat and fresh install windows.

Any program that can do that? A fresh instance of windows?

They're called virtual machines, a very common thing nowadays. Do research on the following products:

VirtualPC 2007 by Microsoft (free)
VirtualBox by Sun (free)
VMWare by VMWare (Server and Player versions are free, Workstation is a commercial product)

That'll get you started.

thanks joe.. I knew they were very common but the name escaped me. Now that you mention it I've heard and read a ton about VMs but i just couldn't remember. Thanks!

Ok, so I installed the microsoft virtual machine and as the install finished, my wireless internet dropped. The other physical machines on the wireless network still have connectivity, and this computer can see the wireless network but stays at the 'waiting for the network' step while trying to connect.

Is this normal? :/

Back