Windows Easy Transfer is torturing me

Polarhound

I suck at [H]F
It started with about a 2.5hr estimate to move 146.2GB from one Win7 box to another... It's now about 25% of the way done, and it's up to 7hr 25min, and the hdd light isn't flashing anywhere near as fast as it was before.

That's what I get for doing this over a network at iffy distances to begin with, I guess!

Yes, 802.11n.

I ended up cancelling the transfer, turning off dual band support (some of my family had b/g only devices for a while) and now I am getting double the single strength by being on 2.4Ghz N only. I started it again, and it is just about back up to where it was before.

I don't really NEED the system to be fully functional until Tuesday evening, so I'll just let it churn away tonight while I sleep and see where it ends up. Until then, I have my Eee to keep me connected, so I'm not completely cut off.

My first choice was to use an external HDD for this, but I couldn't find where I put it, so this is option #2. Option #3 is an old Toshiba USB Data Transfer Cable that I picked up at Microcenter for $9.99, only to find out it's actually been discontinued since 2009.

On the plus side, when it's finally done I'll have a system that will be several generations newer than my old box. I'm just so impatient about the whole process, I drove 180 miles round trip to Microcenter to pick up all the parts instead of waiting for Newegg/Amazon/etc. to ship.

You know, I had an issue with it, too using wireless. It'd go for a bit and then stop. Completely. Let it sit overnight. Never recovered. I had to run a wired cable to get it to go completely though. I assumed it was from shitty software and it couldn't recover from loss of a connection momentarily. You may need to find your external drive if this doesn't work. It's great in theory, and I wish it'd work better, but WET seems to not be the favorite software of quite a few people...

After a reboot and killing all extra procesess (including Avast) is it moving slowly but steadily. The total time peaked at almost 11hrs, but is down to 9.2 now. For my account info (55.8GB) it is about 80% done, and the Shared items (94.6GB) are around 15%.

What I really should of done is just put the old drive in as a slave and copied everything... but I needed the old system running for a while longer. Once this is done, though, I can move the 560 over and relegate the old box to backup duty.

After a reboot and killing all extra procesess (including Avast) is it moving slowly but steadily. The total time peaked at almost 11hrs, but is down to 9.2 now. For my account info (55.8GB) it is about 80% done, and the Shared items (94.6GB) are around 15%.

What I really should of done is just put the old drive in as a slave and copied everything... but I needed the old system running for a while longer. Once this is done, though, I can move the 560 over and relegate the old box to backup duty.

Still running F@H for the [H]orde, though, right? ;)

Glad it's working good. One thing I didn't think of that you probably already did: turn sleep mode off (and hibernation or whatever else). That might be something that would stop it from continuing all night and make you angry in the morning!

Pull the old hard drive out and plug it into the new system, then transfer over SATA.

Pull the old hard drive out and plug it into the new system, then transfer over SATA.

+1. This is what I always do. For many cases you don't even need to remove the hard drive, just move the cases next to each other and plug the old drive into the new computer's mobo and PSU. Though if it's a nice quick remove drive there's no reason not to remove it.

Easy Transfer sucks for anything over 20GB. It bogs down hardcore past that.

Use Robocopy or Teracopy or something like that man.

Not to mention, what they said above is helpful. Copying files over 802.11 is
like asking for corrupted files. if the transfer is that big.

Woke up this morning and everything was finished. Looks like everything moved over alright. Now for the fun part: App reinstall. At least it's nice enough to give a recommended list of apps to work through.

How reliable is the wireless router? Or put another way, how hot is it after being run hard for an extended period of time? I've been consistently underwelmed by a lot of Wifi routers ability to actually perform at capacity - a lot of regular DLinks just crash hard and have to be unplugged for a while - and was actually pleased at the stability of a new ISP provided Router+Wifi+Modem I got (though the management software is another story, limited options, slow as heck to get into).

Back