Windows Easy Tranfser to Vista

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
I am curious...what exactly does Windows Easy Transfer copy from your XP computer to a Vista computer?

Does it just copy your data...i.e. user accounts, emails, some program installs...etc.?

If XP has any problems...i.e. registry...etc. would those be copied over to Vista?

I purchased a Dell XPS 420 with Vista Home Premium and I hate having to reinstall everything, but just don't want to create any problems in Vista.

Thanks!

In the case of my father's move to a new PC it didn't transfer much. It would choke over and over for no apparent reason. I gave up and just connected the machines with a crossover cable and moved everything the old fashioned way.

It works really well in my opinion however the most successful approach is to let it copy files to a location or drive rather than going from PC to PC over a cable or network.

This way you also have a file that contains a nice backup for you to keep around somewhere.

I really doesn't sound like it does much more than copying data from pc to pc via your network. At this point, I really am not seeing any advantage of using it, unless it copies your installed programs and account settings...etc.

Back