Windows Doesnt Want to Install!!

dangfx

Gawd
I have just built a new computer. specs are:

Asus A8N-E (rev. 2, 1005 bios)
550 Antec TruePower EPS12V
BFG 7800GTX
Maxtor DiamondMax10 200gb SATA
1gb Mushkin PC3200 memory (trying to get 2gb to work, see here)

I have tried to install both WinXP Pro, and WinXP x64-bit from both retail and burned CDs. I have tried to do it from 3 different drives, and I always get errors around 85% and up. They say that the file can't be copied from the CD. I can choose to retry, but it never does copy successfully.

any suggestions? TIA....

are you sure your ide cable is seated properly? Try a different cable.

i have tried 3 different IDE cables for the drives, and two different sata cables for the hard disk. i have also tried different sata ports. all give the same result.

Data integrety issues in new builds is often due to RAM issues. Seen it before......

Will the system run Memtest86+ overnight, all tests, no errors....?? Start there - the fact that you are having memory issues is a good indicator of a potential problem with the whole subsystem.

Luck - B.B.S.

First make sure your cables are connected properly and your cd is not scratched. I suggest useing hot water run it over your cd and clean it with a soft cloth. 2ndy make sure your not overclocked doing this install. If all else fails I would try another win xp cd.

:rolleyes: at the advice about the CDs. It definitely sounds like a memory issue. Run Memtest.

try swapping the hard drive with one that already has windows on it, or if you have another one you can try installing windows on then try that. I had this problem before and it turned out I had a bad hard drive. I was able to take it back since it was new.

worth a try really

Badger

ok, it sounds like a memory issue to me too - XP wont install on my system if I have the dual memory bus active - I have to use only on stick when installing - so cut it down to one stick of memory - if it still fails, try the other sticks - if the install starts after you switch out memory - there is your bad stick
also - try a different cd/dvd reader.
Further, cut it down to one drive, one stick memory, one video card, no sound card, nor any additional card, and one cdrom/dvd drive. minimize the possible hang issues -
I can add the additonal stick of memory only after the motherboard drivers are installed...

you think its more of a memory issue than a hard disk issue?

the computer is barebones except for the components listed.

dangfx said:
you think its more of a memory issue than a hard disk issue?

the computer is barebones except for the components listed.
No one knows....that's why we suggested finding out if the memory is bad...which happens.

Back