Windows does not detect sata hdd during install

AMD RULES

Gawd
hello all
im trying to install windows xp professional (legit) on my new server (See sig)

Motherboard: ASUS A8V-VM
CPU: AMD Opteron 144
Mem: Corsair XMS 512mb DDR400 (single channel)
HDD: Seagate Cuda' 120gb SATA (not sata II or 3.0gbs, the old sata150)[i am reusing hdd from old file server]

My computer loads into the windows setup and when I press enter to enter the setup, a message comes up saying it cannot detect any hard drive and to make sure it is plugged in properly and powered on. The hdd is plugged into SATA port 1 on the motherboard and power is given to the hdd.

My question is, do I need to install sata drivers through floppy? i read through the manual and it didn't say anything about this, but Im starting to wonder if this is the cause.

Thanks for any input.

~Arules

yep, just something within the bios not set. :D just too excited to get her up and runnin.

She is now runnin 100% on my network and serving file sharing again. Now i need more space :p

close topic mod

~Arules

i had that problem too. had to turn off apc or something in the bios. unsure why leaving it enabled causing my hd to not show up. pulled my hair out for a fews hours b4 figuring it out though.

There are some chipsets that don't have native support for SATA controllers in XP. For the sake of argument, I'd try the floppy idea out and see if it works.

I have this same problem, so what's the answer?
EDIT: I found my problem. I'd reinstalled my heatsink and forgot to plug the SATA power cable back in.

Back