Windows - Delayed Write Failed

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
Guys, I just added a new Raptor SATA HD. Now Ihave the Raptor SATA on 1st SATA port and maxtor SATA on 2nd SATA port.

Anyway, I finished loading everything back and I get this that pops up in teh sys tray every now and then.

! Windows - Delayed Write Failed:
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The Data has been lost. This error may have been caused by a failure of Computer Hardware or Network Connection. Please try and save this file elsewhere.

What is this?! What does it mean and how do I take care of it? I haven't formated my Maxtor D: Drive yet for the old Windows XP. I am getting ready to do that after I copy data off it.

One of my friends is having this same problem in Windows 2k on his regular IDE drives, the error just started happening randomly one day and hasn't really stopped. I'll ask him what he found out about it and how to possibly fix it. He says its annoying but it hasn't destroyed anything important yet...

do you have an ati video card? its a somewhat wierd connection between ati cards, having a large system cache enabled and windows xp.

Well my friend who was having the problem had an nvidia video card and windows 2000, so it could be a multitude of things causing the problem.

Now, when I formatted my Maxtor SATA drive in windows, it says.

"Format did not complete successfully." I don't know what is going on.

When I clikc on the D drive in my computer, it says: "D:\ is inaccessable." The parameter is incorrect.

It may be unrelated, but I too had the problem pop up out of the blue too. However, I have a regular 80 pin ATA drive. It turns out it was the Antec 80 pin rouded cable that was giving me the problem, because once I swictched the rouded one out with a standard one the errors stopped and haven't had a problem since.

Well, in my RAID array, it shows the drive just fine. But, Windows is "Unable to format the drive!"

It shouldn't have anything to do with the Bois version, should it. It worked before on the Number 1 SATA slot as the primary, single drive.

How about Drivers from ASUS? Should I roll those back to an earlier version? That shouldn't make a difference, because My Raptor on the first SATA port is running great.

Update:

Dled a Maxtor LLF diag util. Booted into Dos with it. Did a quick drive test, everything passed. Did a quick Low Level Format, passed.

Booted into windows on the C: raptor. In the Disk manager, D: came up as unallocated. Told it to format NTFS and it says " Can not complete format". Then it totally removed the D: drive from Disk Manager!

What gives?

Back