• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows Delayed Write error... I can't believe I fixed it

Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
590
Here's a little info for those who may be getting a Windows Delayed Write error from a HD.

I have a new X2 build. All 15K SCSI. I could not get a 73G Fujitsu drive to function reliably; getting lots of delayed write and device not ready errors. It passed all diagnostics, but it was constantly flaky.

I did a lot of Googling and read a lot of info; much of it saying that delayed write errors are precursors to failing drives, and being that this was an Ebay pickup, I wouldn't be surprised. I was ready to return it to the seller.

Got another 15K drive in today and hooked it up and immediately started getting booting problems... as in machine wouldn't boot with the new drive attached. After a little futzing around, I reversed the scsi chain, putting the terminator after the new drive rather than the LSI adapter. Bingo. Put the other "failing" Fujitsu back in the same position. Problems gone. It had never occurred to me that the position on the chain was causing the problem, because I've never had this happen before in SCSI installations. Had I any knowledge of what the hell I'm doing, I might have saved myself days of fumbling around and reformatting.

Anyways, I mention this, because a Delayed Write error on a drive seems like it's failing, but it may be something much simpler, so if I can save another fumbler from agonizing over a seemingly good drive that just doesn't work, the little knowledge I've gained will be worth it... I guess
 
Positioning on the SCSI chain is a definite problem if you don't have it setup right.

It is always good practice to place the drives at the end of the SCSI cable (closest to the terminator) and back fill the connections towards the HBA.
 
...and now I know...;-)

I also need to check if these drives have onboard termination. Since these are OEM pulls, I just put them in without much forethought.
 
Dennis Gordon said:
putting the terminator after the new drive rather than the LSI adapter.

Terminators always go at the end of the chain furthest from the adaptor.

from: http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI_Termination_Tutorial.html
"Where do you terminate the bus?
[Terminate: from the latin terminus meaning "the end".]
Termination must be present at two and only two positions on the SCSI bus, at the beginning of the bus, and at the end, and must occur within 4 inches of the physical ends of the SCSI bus. Often, the host will be installed at one end of the bus, and will provide one of the two terminations required."

==>Lazn
 
Back
Top