Windows Defender won't update -- No error codes

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
OK this one is really getting me. Windows Defender is not updating for me. New definitions are not appearing in Windows Update, but other updates are. The button to check for updates in Defender, finds no updates. I have Defender set to automatically check for updates before scans. I finally manually updated the definitions about a week ago and it still is not automatically updating.

I can understand if I messed up a setting to turn off auto updates but if I manually check and they still do not show, yet when I ask people on Vista that I know theirs is being updated, I know something is wrong. At first I thought their update server may be not working, but guess not.

I did uninstall AVG 8 free edition about 3 or 4 weeks ago, which is around when it started happening. Any chance it's related?

I've deleted the update folder and it still won't do anything. I've visited www.windowsupdate.com and it just launches the internal updater. I am not getting any error codes and I do not have a group policy setting pointing to a windows update server.

What is the signature version you are on?

1. click the arrow next to the giant question mark icon.
2. About Windows Defender

Should list signature version and engine version?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1.45.836.0 Created 10/18

That's the one I manually installed. The one I overwrote was created on 10/2. Defender was giving the error that it may be out of date. Of course, the update button didn't bring down any updates.

You are running the latest Defender Signatures. Is this a home machine or a corporate machine?

According to Microsoft, the latest version is Antispyware: v1.45.986.0

Is there a place that tells you what Versions Microsoft puts up for auto updates?

My Server 2008 machine is on 1.45.731.0. What's going on? Do they only up definition updates up every few weeks?

Tuesday and Thursday are the Windows Defender releases to Windows Update.

Back