Windows crashing hard after installation of Alcohol 120%.

dak125

Limp Gawd
The jist of it is this, I tried installing an old version of Alcohol that I had laying around, it was for XP. Unfortunately I'm running Vista Ultimate (never put two and two together). Windows asked me if I was "sure I wanted to install this driver" that wasn't digitally signed, I said yes. Before the installation could complete I got the blue screen of death but it reboots too quickly for me to read the error message, I think it says something about lack of physical memory.

When I get to the desktop it immediately tries finding the driver and at that point it crashes again. I cannot boot into Safe Mode or regular booting.

I completely forgot what version Alcohol was for it's been so long since I used it.

Anyways, is there any way for me to cancel that horrendous driver install?

As mentioned in the OP, I cannot boot in safe mode. It crashes before I boot.

Sorry, didn't notice that.

Next option would be boot from Vista DVD, choose 'Repair' rather than Install, and try the 'Startup Repair' option there.

Or try F8 at boot and select Disable Driver Signing (I'm presuming it's Vista 64). That may help.

Well if your computers 'alcohol' level is '120%' then it probably has a hard time being stable
smiley_XD.gif

Thanks for the posts fellas. An incredibly helpful member at Anand actually tracked the problem down and gave me the remedy. Here it is in case anyone's as moronic as I am and does what I did:

So using the info in this thread, I booted Vista business edition using my cd. When I got to the install screen, I selected the repair link at the bottom of the screen.

I then went into the command prompt and did c:
Then I did
dir a347bus.sys /s

Which located the file @
c:\windows\system32\drivers\a347bus.sys

I then changed directories to cd c:\windows\system32\drivers and then renamed the a347bus.sys file (rename a347bus.sys blahblah.bad) and then I was able to boot windows.

It did give me some errors about needing to reinstall some software drivers etc etc, but it allowed me to get in, and uninstall alcohol and then it seems to boot correctly from here on out.

It works perfectly!

Back