Windows crappy search... Help!

FlangeMonkey

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

Let me just rant for a moment... I absolutely hate what Microsoft did with the search/indexing features from Vista onwards. Lets face it they broke it... I have never been able to get the same functionality out of search that XP had.

Rant over... So its been a while since I needed to search for file contents of many files on windows, I'm now needing to search a large amount of JS, ASPX, CSS, etc. all formats that windows doesn't see as documents.

Anyone know a way to make windows native search every file for content? This is 2012R2 or Windows 8.1.

Your help would be appreciated,

Try checking out Agent Ransack. It works really well and is much faster than Windows Search and it is Free.

Let me just rant for a moment... I absolutely hate what Microsoft did with the search/indexing features from Vista onwards. Lets face it they broke it... I have never been able to get the same functionality out of search that XP had.

I agree. It seemed to get worse and worse each release..

Anyways for text files I usually use the search that is in Notepad++ and for the most part avoid the windows search.

Thanks for the suggestion. Its on a server so I don't want to install anything, but I will check it out.

the other thing to try is locate 32 but it may not work as well as it used to with all the changes made to windows 7 and later.

There's also an app called 'everything' that will index all your files and enable an instant search.

There's also an app called 'everything' that will index all your files and enable an instant search.

Wow, this is fucking amazing. Why is the Windows Search dog shit in comparison?

Have you tried findstr from the command line? It can do recursive directory searches and supports regular expressions.

You might want to check out Sublime Text as well. I use it daily at home and work. You can , for instance, drop a folder into it, then do a search across the contents of every file in that folder/subfolders using a regex.

Back