Windows could not start because the following file is missing...Access is denied

seeknowsage

Limp Gawd
I recently moved my Win XP Pro-based system over to a new case I bought from a hardforum user. I initially encountered problems booting the machine in this new case whereas I never had these problems with the machine in the old case. I think I identified and corrected this problem (video card wasn't seated properly) as the system boots every time now.

However, while the machine will boot every time now, it will not boot into windows. Instead, I get the following error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Great. So I have apparently developed a registry problem in the course of the multiple boot attempts I made in diagnosing my aforementioned failure to boot issues. I've done searches through google and have found several promising returns, including: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

However, when I attempt to follow those instructions in the recovery console using my Windows XP Pro install cd or any other relevant instruction in solving this problem short of formatting or reinstalling (which I really want to avoid), I am instantly greeted with the error message "Access is denied". (This happens when I attempt to create a directory, access C:\System Volume information, etc.)

Microsoft has a lovely writeup on how to circumvent this issue at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531/

Unfortunately, that solution requires that you are able to boot Windows in the first place!

Is there any way to get around this damn "Access is denied" issue without formatting, reinstalling windows, pulling out my hair, punching holes - I mean "circularly-shaped speed boosters - in my wall (they make it go faster!), etc? I'd appreciate any and all help in this matter.

(Note: I do have this windows machine I am posting on. I've seen a few solutions to this problem that would suggest I drop my hd's from my afflicted machine into this one. However, Windows is currently installed on a sata raid setup on the afflicted machine and unfortunately this machine doesn't support sata. )=

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am unable to start windows in either safe mode or with the last known good configuration.

Back