Windows connection sharing problem

Jim S.

n00b
Joined
Dec 23, 2005
Messages
59
I'm no network guru. But what I'm trying to do seems really simple, and I'm at a loss as to why it's not working.

I recently bought a wireless network adapter for my desktop system and tried to set up an ad-hoc network with my laptop according to the directions at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

It sounds simple enough. But even though I enabled sharing of my desktop's internet connection (which is via ethernet to a DSL modem/router), the laptop couldn't access the internet. It connected to the desktop and got an IP address, and it could view shared files on the desktop, but that's all.

I still haven't solved that problem, but now I discovered another one. Whenever internet connecting sharing is enabled on the desktop, the laptop can't see any of the desktop's shared folders, when I drop the wireless connection and plug it back into the ethernet via a switch like it used to be! It can't even see that the desktop is on the LAN as far as Windows resource sharing is concerned, although it can ping it. However, the desktop can see shared folders on the laptop! If I disable internet connection sharing, everything works again. But this, obviously, still leaves me with no clue on how to share the internet connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either of these problems? Both systems are running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all patches.
 
I've never used ICS myself, but almost sounds like a firewall issue.

what IP is the laptop receiving via wireless? what's the default gateway? what IPs does the desktop have when ICS is enabled?
 
Back
Top