• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows client can get bigadv. but Linux can't?

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
Joined
Jun 6, 2000
Messages
6,518
So as the subject says, my Windows box can get -bigadv WU's, but my Linux boxes can't. Currently doing some 2P vs 4P apples to apples (same processors) under Linux + Kraken with regular SMP; but would greatly prefer to see how they work out with BA's. Thoughts / suggestions?

(BTW, not using BFS [IIRC] as it doesn't seem to work with Ubuntu 11.xx 64bit; which I need to use as v10 doesn't play nice with these systems.)
 
BFS works on 11.04 desktop, I ran that for a few months on my 2P.
 
I'm running it on 11.04 also :)

Also.. you can't get bigadv on the windows f@h client unless something changed really recently. :confused:
 
He's getting 6900's on his Windows box.

Hi fastgeek (team 33),
Your WU (P6900 R16 C0 G137) was added to the stats database on 2012-05-11 12:07:46 for 113721 points of credit.
 
Cool, so its only the 6900 that windows gets if you use the bigadv flag, the others are limited to 64bit client on Linux?
 
Huh, I seem to remember having issues with BFS before on 11.10 x64. I might give it another try here shortly.

I can't really talk about the processors or the systems, nor does anyone need to throw out any conjecture; please respect that. But, I think it's safe to say the following FWIW.

2P w/ 32 threads = Project: 6097 (Run 0, Clone 84, Gen 271) with a TPF around 2m30s
4P w/ 64 threads = Project: 6099 (Run 1, Clone 44, Gen 152) with a TPF around 1m30s-1m40s

Now if I could just figure out why the server never gives out bigadv work units I could get some results there too.
 
LOL! Just making sure I don't do/say what I'm not supposed to do - that's all. :) I'm glad to be able to use these things for folding while I can, so making full use of it. But damn is this room hot as a result!

I just stopped the -SMP 64 process (made a copy of course; no point in losing that work) and tried -smp 64 -bigadv. Here's what FAHlog.txt has to say.

# Linux SMP Console Edition
############################################################
Folding@Home Client Version 6.34
http://folding.stanford.edu
############################################################
Launch directory: /home/carbon/fah
Executable: ./fah6
Arguments: -smp 64 -bigadv

[01:27:33] - Ask before connecting: No
[01:27:33] - User name: fastgeek (Team 33)
[01:27:33] - User ID: 532B746473099C9D
[01:27:33] - Machine ID: 1
[01:27:33]
[01:27:33] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[01:27:33] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[01:27:33] Cleaning up work directory
[01:27:33] + Attempting to get work packet
[01:27:33] Passkey found
[01:27:33] - Connecting to assignment server
[01:30:42] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[01:30:42] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[01:30:42] - Successful: assigned to (130.237.232.141).
[01:30:42] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[01:30:42] Loaded queue successfully.
[01:30:49] - Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[01:31:05] + Attempting to get work packet
[01:31:05] Passkey found
[01:31:05] - Connecting to assignment server
[01:34:15] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[01:34:15] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[01:34:15] - Successful: assigned to (130.237.232.141).
[01:34:15] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[01:34:15] Loaded queue successfully.
[01:34:21] - Attempt #2 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[01:34:35] + Attempting to get work packet
[01:34:35] Passkey found
[01:34:35] - Connecting to assignment server
(etc, etc, etc)
Folding@Home Client Shutdown.

The HTTP assignment servers don't work here; but 130.237.232.141 is the same IP the Windows box is getting its project 6900 "windows bigadv" WU's from. Have had Linux systems here getting BA WU's in the past, but haven't been able to get a damn thing recently. Systems have had 32, 48 and 64 threads FWIW.

Just going to let this box churn out whatever SMP WU's it receives over the weekend... hopefully some ideas will come up! :)
 
Hi fastgeek (team 33),
Your WU (P6900 R16 C0 G137) was added to the stats database on 2012-05-11 12:07:46 for 113721 points of credit.

Hey ChelseaOilman just wondering how did you find the above info out on each particular wu submited? Is there a website or do you work for Stanford?

Cheers
 
Hey ChelseaOilman just wondering how did you find the above info out on each particular wu submited? Is there a website or do you work for Stanford?

Cheers

He's a mod on the folding forum, as such he has access to the WU database for when donor's enquire about missing points/failed WU
 
ChelseaOilman - that's a good question. I think so, but not 100% sure; will check tomorrow.

Tear, going to assume that's a CL query; will run that tomorrow too and report back.

Thanks!
 
if you run -configonly what do it say on this line.
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [big]?
It should say big.
 
Complete screw up on my part, which some of the more experienced folks here were likely already thinking. :p The packet size was set to normal, not big. Once that was corrected the system grabbed a 6900.

Now I just need to read carefully and see what needs to be done to get TheKraken to wrap the A5 core. :)
*edit* Done, core wrapped, now to see what this system manages to do.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top