"Windows cannot bind to **** domain"

Flapjack

2[H]4U
Ok guys, if you can figure this out... I'll be forever in your debt.

For some reason, on of the PCs on domain will not log users onto the domain. It'll sit there for 15 minutes, then log in with the default profile. These are the event viewer entries:
Code:
Event ID: 1006
Windows cannot bind to **** domain. (Timeout). Group Policy processing aborted. 

Event ID: 1030
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Event ID: 15
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the active directory (0x8007041d).  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
  Enrollment will not be performed.

Now there is a little history here... I've had problems with this PC before.

Sometimes when it crashes (power outage, whatever) it'll come back up with absolutely no network adapters in Device Manager. I have to edit my environmental variables with devmgr_show_details = 1 and devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices = 1, go into Device Manager, show hidden devices, and remove the network card that is ghosted. The message is something "this adapter cannot start because it is no longer present in the system", or something like that.

That being done, I'll then have to shut down, physically remove the NIC, boot back up as a local admin, make sure it's gone from Device Manager, then shut down. After shutting down, I can reinsert the NIC, boot back up, install the driver and get back on the network. I've reformatted a million times but still have this issue...

Anyways, on Saturday this happened during a thunderstorm. After going through the above steps it was fine. Today, we had another thunderstorm (I've since gotten another UPS). When I tried to boot the system up, I had the ghost NIC problem again. I followed the above steps and it reinstalled just fine. However, when I log in it sits for 15-20 minutes and never boots into my roaming profile.... instead it starts up the default new user profile.... no "windows cannot find the server copy of the roaming profile" or anything.

After Googling the problem, everything pointed to the DC. I spent two hours or so messing with the DNS settings like some threads suggested. Finally, I grabbed a wireless laptop to try it out. It booted into the roaming profile with absolutely no problems. So now I know it is this particular PC.

Hoping for a quick fix, I used the System Restore option to roll it back a few days. Same thing with the long login time, but this time, I got the typical "cannot find \\dc\users\blah blah" and "windows cannot find the roaming profile" or whatever it says.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I figured I'd give as much information as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. This issue is really testing my patience....

flapjack? FuSiOn.. perhaps u know me ;)

yeah if you've got issues like that where its acting fubar in my experience the hard drive going bad can make the wildest shit happen. I've had issues similar but not exactly like what you explained. I highly doubt the domain controller has anything to do with the issue. I mean I suppose you could also delete the computer account from ad for adding it back, but seriously it just sounds like that computer is having issues all on its own. I am gonig to assume you tried another nic (which I also highly doubt is the problem).

GL in any case.

I agree, but why didn't the issue clear up when I rolled the system back to an earlier date??

Here's a reply I made to some questions posed by members of another forum. I'm sure it's relevant:

The NIC is a Gigabit GA311. The Netgear drivers suck, so I'm using the Realtek reference drivers for the chipset. The reason I do this is because I also have the same NIC in my DC and Netgear doesn't provide a Win2k3 driver. Not to mention the fact that there hasn't been a new driver update since 2003!

I've had zero problems with the computer other than that. Memtest is good, the PSU is good, it'll game all day long and overclock like a fool. Since this has happened, I brought it down to stock speeds... but it keeps happening. It's an AMD X2 3800+ that will safely do 2.55ghz with a moderate voltage increase.

I could swap out the NIC... I guess that's what I'll have to do. What do you recommend as far as a Gigabit NIC that supports jumbo frames? I really like the performance of this card with large file transfers.

Also, the real problem now is the forever login, which never boots up to the real roaming profile. The PC is completely unusable, even now that I have the NIC back up and running.....

@defuseme2k

Well, I finally got it solved (the login problem, that is).

Removing the computer from Active Directory on the DC did the trick. I did that, then joined the PC in question to WORKGROUP and back to the domain after a reboot. Logged in no problem.

Weird, eh?

By the way, FuSiOn sounds familiar.... where do I know you from?

Flapjack said:
@defuseme2k

Well, I finally got it solved (the login problem, that is).

Removing the computer from Active Directory on the DC did the trick. I did that, then joined the PC in question to WORKGROUP and back to the domain after a reboot. Logged in no problem.

Weird, eh?

By the way, FuSiOn sounds familiar.... where do I know you from?

This used to happen on the lab PCs at my previous work. It seems the trust breaks between the two computers, and from then on, your only choice is to rejoin the domain...

I have this problem with thin clients when users yank the plug and they aren't shut down properly. The problem is the computers AD account and it's password. Just like user accounts, computer accounts have passwords that are handed out when they join the domain. By default these computer accounts change there passwords every 30 days, if for some reason the passwords get out of sync, you won't be able to login to the domain. There is a registry edit that will prevent the PC from changing it's password, but it is not recommended due to security concerns.

Thanks for all the replies. This was the first time the login thing happened to me.... so no big deal. I guess I'm gonna have to get another Gigabit NIC that supports jumbo frames and see if the disappearing NIC problem goes away.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried that NIC in any other systems to see if you have the same problem, tried it in different PCI slots on that system. I tend to think that the operating system has some serious issues...my fix at this point is usually to reimage the system rather then spend anymore time on it. Unless you don't have that luxury with this system...

I've reformatted this machine several times since I originally built it. Truthfully, putting the card in another system would not provide a quick diagnosis. The "disappearing NIC" thing happens every few months at the most.

Back