Windows Boot Issues: Possible Hard Drive Issue

Xethril

n00b
I've got an older rig that blue screens when I boot up with Windows 7. Sometimes in loads to a black screen. I ran the Windows 7 memory test and it found an error but doesn't give much information regarding the error.

I'm assuming the hdd is bad. Are there any tools that can be used to check whether it's an OS issue or actually a bad drive?

In addition I'm not able to get Windows 8 to boot from a flash device. Does anyone have a good guide for this?

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention when I boot Ubuntu some software will run, but after awhile it crashes.

Install CrystalDiskInfo and you will see if your drive thinks it is behaving abnormally.

I forgot to mention when I boot Ubuntu some software will run, but after awhile it crashes.

This does not sound like a hard drive problem to me. ram or motherboard are more likely.

The easiest way to tell is watch the hd activity light on the case when it boots. When you see it start to hang or black screen, in almost every bad hard drive case with corruption enough to boot only half way, I've seen the light flash in a constant pattern trying to read the bad sectors over and over. If not, the next thing would be to boot from something like ubcd that won't hang during boot so you can run diagnostic tools like sea tools or such...

Back