Windows based hard drive shredder/wiper

Rakinos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a lot of hard drives to go format and I was wondering if there was a good hard drive shredding software to make sure that all data cannot be recovered. I was thinking about just using a usb-> ide adaptor to speed up the process.

I think one of the most overlooked items is Spybot's file shredder. Open up the Tools and check it out (Mode\Advanced). Here's a clip from their help file:

The first 5 shreds are using pre-defined bit patterns that should make even hardware recovery impossible. Any further pass will use a random bit pattern that is changing every few bytes.
Please notice: one pass is not enough to shred a file, as the heads of your hard disk won't hit the same track 100,00% of the time. There are small differences of a few µm that will allow pros to reconstruct even overwritten data. That is why multiple shreds are necessary, and why different patterns should be used.

why must it be windows based?
My assumption is that you have 1 computer and you need to use it while whiping out harddrives on the second ide channel or usb correct?

If you have a spare computer(even an old one), or don't mind not being able to use your computer then I recomend dban

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ I uses the DOD spec'd erasing algorithim thingy
there is a floppy and cd based version, I recommend both incase one doesn't work.
At work I have an old junk computer that I use to whipe out harddrives when we dispose of computers.

Back