Windows AD + funking network shares

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
So I'd like to be able to do something like this:

\\boca.pri\homes

And have it point somewhere different depending on the location where the command is typed.

So for example, say I have site 1 and site 2, which are connected via vpn over a slow link ( t1/dsl ). I also have users who travel between those two locations on a day to day basis. They have roaming profiles. I'd like to prevent the roaming profile from loading across the vpn, instead loading from the local copies ( rsync'd nightly ).

Does this makes sense? Anybody know how to do this?

The only thing I can think of is using a GPO attached to a Site (determines IP address) that would change the user's directory to \\LAN IP\home. I am no AD expert though.

Do both sites use the same DNS servers? I"m thinking maybe if boca.pri resolves to a different IP depending on which site you are in...

You can do this using DFS. You'd be best to read up on it and really know how it works but it's exactlly what you're looking for.

LittleMe said:
You can do this using DFS. You'd be best to read up on it and really know how it works but it's exactlly what you're looking for.
I'm actually reading about it right now, but I'm not seeing how to do it. As I understand dfs, it creates a short cut that can be changed transparently, but not on location criteria.

Am I missing something?

Here's a link to M$ FAQ about DFS. What you're looking for is load balancing with restricted same site target selection. Roaming profiles are listed in the FAQ as well. This doesn't tell you how to do it, but does help to explain what it can and can't do.

Back