Window's Activation

Timdog

Gawd
I installed a Linksys wireless- G card in my shuttle. After two days of it running fine, I restarted and windows said I had to reactivate. At first, it wouldn't even connect, but I got that fixed. Then it says my key has been used too many times. I input the key I have and it still says this. Is there any way to fix this? Windows XP MC 2005

Phone microsoft and get a new key. The activation screen should give you a phone number

You don't need a new key, they will just give you an activation code.

What if I removed my wireless card? I don't really need it and the signal isn't very good for it anyway. Could I then not have to reactivate?

Timdog said:
What if I removed my wireless card? I don't really need it and the signal isn't very good for it anyway. Could I then not have to reactivate?
Sorry, no. If you don't reactive before the time limit expires, XP will not allow you to login. Even running a repair will not correct this. It's either wipe the drive and start over or phone Microsoft and reactivate.

Calling the 888 number really is painless. It will only take about 5 minutes total. When you call and the automated system answers, you do NOT have to speak the numbers, you can enter them in using the phone number buttons, this is so much faster than speaking every damn number and confirming it heard you right.

Reason I don't want to do the phone thing is it took my dad nearly 2 hours when he had to do it before. :( And I don't wanna sit with the phone for 2 hours :eek:

I've had to do it and its never taken more then 5 minutes...

Bottom line is the clocks a tick'en pickup the phone and do it because it dosent matter if it takes 1 min or 1 hour. after your 30days are up, your done- no sense in waiting its not like you've got a "legal" choice

Timdog said:
Reason I don't want to do the phone thing is it took my dad nearly 2 hours when he had to do it before. :( And I don't wanna sit with the phone for 2 hours :eek:

does he know english? :p

Timdog said:
yes... I think he may have been exagerrating with that comment though. :eek:
Hope so...

I to have had to call in a couple times, and it always takes me about 5 minutes.

Well, I tried calling and I got through everything. It said it couldn't get my installation id so it would be transferring me to a live represenative. Should I keep going and explain my problem? Also, it's Windows Media Center Edition 2005, but should I just say I'm activating XP when it asks me?

Timdog said:
Well, I tried calling and I got through everything. It said it couldn't get my installation id so it would be transferring me to a live represenative. Should I keep going and explain my problem? Also, it's Windows Media Center Edition 2005, but should I just say I'm activating XP when it asks me?
Tell them the truth... Why wouldn't you tell them the truth?

Just wondering if it made a difference if I bought MC 2005 instead of just XP home or Pro. I know MC has XP Pro as its base shell. I guess I'll just finish it tomorrow. :eek: I can see your hinting that I might have warezed this copy. I haven't warezed any software yet and I don't plan to so I am safe there. ^_^
EDIT: For future reference, since MC 2005 comes with two CDs, do I only have to install the first one to get XP Pro without the MC extensions? I don't really need those on the shuttle box as it is a LAN machine so I would like to know for future formats.

No, you have to use both CD's. If you don't you will get a very wierd install.

And I wasn't assuming anything, I was just wondering why it took so long the first call, and why you were "afraid" to call the second time. I know the person in charge of WPA personally, and they always want to make it as easy as possible.

Back