Windows activation after cpu, ram and video card upgrade?

It's retarded. It doesn't help piracy. It helps from the normal user from installing on 5 computers, and at the office...

Hoepfully, it's just a 2 minute process for you and you don't have to call and explain yourself. Lately, when I call, I get the 10 minute Why? What? Same PC? Why? Speech...

Amanda ;)

xtasyindecay said:
What the hell is this?

Amanda is absolutley right.

Your XP install gets KEYED to your hardware. Each item gets so many points in the activation check. If you change too many items away from your orginal install then windows forces you to reactivate. Which it seems that you've reached that point.

If you change just the motherboard then you get this also, because your onboard ethernet card has more weight than than just about anyother single item.

If you are legit then just reactivate. If you've re-installed too many times like most of us - then it will force you to make the phone call.

If you are not legit - then get legit.

Activation worked. I'm running wireless internet and it wouldn't connect until I restarted. Crisis averted. Thanks guys.

I just updated the firmware on my dvd burner and had to reactivate afterwards ... so sometimes it dont take much :mad:
:)

It took you guys more effort to whine about having to activate than it did for you to activate in the first place. It's not that big of a deal folks. I have yet to hear of someone being denied activation. Even after they broke the EULA and installed OEM versions on other motherboards and such like that.

I personally don't like listening to someone in India not believe me when I tell them I changed hardware.

They ask "You got a new computer?"

"No, I got a different PROCESSOR"

F1xxer said:
It took you guys more effort to whine about having to activate than it did for you to activate in the first place. It's not that big of a deal folks. I have yet to hear of someone being denied activation. Even after they broke the EULA and installed OEM versions on other motherboards and such like that.

Noob... Sounds like you've never had to deal with more than one windows activation in your life.

Im with Amanda and AsusUser on this one. Swapping a PCI network card on your computer during a lan party, to be slapped with activation is just one of those "What the hell.." moments. Guess what, I had to call tech support and deal with their automated phone system (which is a waste of time no matter what), while everyone else games on.

The process appears to try to work on an automated level, the last two times I have used it, it has not. I did this literally yesterday with my machine, and despite using the keypad on my phone, the automated machine told me that my information was not correct. By the way, my phone has an LCD display, I did check that I was inputting the numbers correctly since they are in 5 digit sections.

At that point you are then transferred to a support agent. And that is where my problem has always been. In yesterdays scenario I was reinstalling, since I had put in a different mainboard, cpu, and graphics card. The last time I had to use the activation process, was when a friends system was having internet trouble, and we tried changing from his onboard nvidia networking port, to his onboard marvell networking port. With both of them being ONBOARD, with no change of actual hardware, just the different ethernet ports in his mainboard. I'm quite aware that as far as windows is concerned, that ethernet port is another piece of hardware, but the problem arose when my friend told him "no, I didn't change hardware at all, it's the same motherboard".

The rep had a temper tantrum and accused him of lying, saying that he had bought the same MODEL motherboard and was attempting to use his windows product key in another system.

My point is that the activation system could be a lot better, and that is true of almost every anti-piracy system out there. Can someone say starforce?

I put in a damned Creative Labs X-Fi and it made me activate again...wtf yoz...

i had to call MS and read them the 64 digit key then have them read another one back...such a pita.

But seriously, its nothing more than a 10 min process even if u have to call them.

I have to call them every time I reformat, it seems. It's not that big of a deal. 5 minutes of my life...and I know the key I had used up until I went x64 had been reactivated about a hundred times over multiple systems (but just 1 at a time)

Generaluser45 said:
I have to call them every time I reformat, it seems. It's not that big of a deal. 5 minutes of my life...and I know the key I had used up until I went x64 had been reactivated about a hundred times over multiple systems (but just 1 at a time)

Yeah they always try to trick you. "how many systems is this key installed on"? lol? ONE PLZ.

bob said:
Noob... Sounds like you've never had to deal with more than one windows activation in your life.

Just because I'm a "noobie" on the hard forum doesn't make me a noob IRL. :rolleyes: I actually have a good number of years experience working in the IT field and happen to have passed the 70-270 exam. I know a few things about XP.

Guess what, I had to call tech support and deal with their automated phone system (which is a waste of time no matter what), while everyone else games on.

OMG! That must have taken all of what.....5 minutes! :eek: It almost takes longer than that to mash out an ignorant response on a forum.

F1xxer said:
Just because I'm a "noobie" on the hard forum doesn't make me a noob IRL. :rolleyes: I actually have a good number of years experience working in the IT field and happen to have passed the 70-270 exam. I know a few things about XP.

OMG! That must have taken all of what.....5 minutes! :eek: It almost takes longer than that to mash out an ignorant response on a forum.

You will find, that nobody cares if you passed the 70-270 exam.

corrosive23 said:

Apparently my current employer does. They offered me quite a bit more money than my last job was paying. They said one of my most impressive qualities was that I had my MCP. I beat out 33 other applicants too. So I don't mind if it doesn't enhance my e-penis. It enhanced my bankroll. :D

/OT

F1xxer said:
Apparently my current employer does. They offered me quite a bit more money than my last job was paying. They said one of my most impressive qualities was that I had my MCP. I beat out 33 other applicants too. So I don't mind if it doesn't enhance my e-penis. It enhanced my bankroll. :D

/OT

Yeah you can get quite the bankroll pimpin an MCP :rolleyes:

Thats like bragging you made head fry cook at mickey dees.

I just got hit up with another activation on my main rig after installing a cd burner, and moving around cards in the PCI slots. The folding rig behind me is also asking for activation (swapped out a lot of shit in it). Ill try microsoft later tonight and see how long of a wait it will be this time.

F1xxer said:
Just because I'm a "noobie" on the hard forum doesn't make me a noob IRL. :rolleyes:
I wasnt referring to that. I used 'noob' In reference to how you seem to have no idea of what your talking about, or either missed the point of this thread completley.

F1xxer said:
I actually have a good number of years experience working in the IT field and happen to have passed the 70-270 exam. I know a few things about XP.

Chummin the ole fishing waters again, eh?

AsusUser said:
I personally don't like listening to someone in India not believe me when I tell them I changed hardware.

They ask "You got a new computer?"

"No, I got a different PROCESSOR"

Yeah that describes the gist of my conversation..

corrosive23 said:
4saken said:

Must we attack each other in every thread? :rolleyes:

F1xxer said:
It took you guys more effort to whine about having to activate than it did for you to activate in the first place. It's not that big of a deal folks. I have yet to hear of someone being denied activation.

His statement rings true. It's so easy to reactivate...I don't know why people seek counseling and lose so much sleep over this.

I've re-activated soooo many installs of Windows and Office for myself and clients...I can't even begin to count.

*click...click*..."Woooo....that was hard!" :rolleyes:

And the handful of times it said it's reached the limit...and I've had to call to explain whatever reason I had to transfer this install to another machine...I spent a whopping couple of minutes talking to some chick at MS who, without much but a brief couple of seconds worth of an explanation from me...read me back a new license key. :eek: Nothing worth jumping off a cliff about...it's really quite painless.

I forget the forumula...it's a combination of a number of components, related to how "core" they are, which creates a hardware hash with the install key.

And all of this is exactly why I "sometimes" like working for a really big company that uses corporate licenses for the local hardware.
:D

4saken said:

If attacking my credibility makes you feel better about being too lazy to click an icon or make a phone call to reactivate, fire away. The fact remains that a toddler randomly clicking with a mouse could activate/reactivate windows XP.

Amanda said:
It's retarded. It doesn't help piracy. It helps from the normal user from installing on 5 computers, and at the office...

Hoepfully, it's just a 2 minute process for you and you don't have to call and explain yourself. Lately, when I call, I get the 10 minute Why? What? Same PC? Why? Speech...

Amanda ;)

I just told them "hey, I beta test. FIX IT NOW" and they give me the numbers.

AsusUser said:
The rep had a temper tantrum and accused him of lying, saying that he had bought the same MODEL motherboard and was attempting to use his windows product key in another system.

My point is that the activation system could be a lot better, and that is true of almost every anti-piracy system out there. Can someone say starforce?

the SECOND they accuse you of lying, you say this:
"Fuck you, I want you manager and your employee number, NOW" and watch them scramble. Don't hang up till you get it. If they hang up or wont get it, file a complaint. Did that once, and I never, EVER, have to call on one of my discs again (I own legal liscenses for every windows OS I use).

Thats why you run a hacked copy that voids the activation. I never have a problem and I get all the updates just fine after running the java script to turn of GA. I have a legit copy of xp too, but I got fed up dealing with that crap. Man I hate microsoft.

If you've ever checked your work email from home, this justifies using the Corporate version (which doesnt require verification) with a VLK licensed to your work.

I love my eOpen license :D

ALT+F4 said:
And what exactly do you do for work? Geeksquad with your A+ cert? :rolleyes:

There are enough knowledgeable people around here working for major industry sources that an exam is basically meaningless. Come to me when you've passed your CCIE. THEN I'll be impressed. ;)

Or when your HD space is bigger than the GPFS share I work with. I guarantee you're nowhere close ;)

(hint: If you don't have at least a petabyte, you're WAY short).

ALT+F4 said:
And what exactly do you do for work? Geeksquad with your A+ cert? :rolleyes:
Senior Project Manager for Mastec in their Network Services Division. Look them up. One of the large infrastructure companies in the world. Ive worked there for close to 7 years now. :rolleyes:

A whole lot of grief you people are giving each other over a simple problem with a simple fix.. Call and re-activate.. OP changed enough hardware to trigger a re-activation... Yes, it's a pain in the ass... But, we all have been dealing with XP activation for the last several years.. I think it's time to accept it or move to Linux...

I have had to call on a great number of occasions to re-activate.. Never once took more than 5-10 minutes.. Usually took less than 5 minutes.. Perhaps I have just been lucky..

Noone has said the process shouldn't exist, and noone has said anything that implies they don't have a least the slightest indication of why it exists.

What most people, including myself, complain about is the condescending treatment that we have received from the people, when we TRUTHFULLY answer the question of "is this for a new computer?". The problem is that they ASSUME that since the answer is yes, they assume that you are still using the old one. They don't seem to understand that we answer, yes, it's a new computer, because the old one is lying in pieces on the table.

I'm sure all of us know what answer they are looking for, that is: "same computer".

Personally, I prefer to not lie. The problem is not with me, I am the one being truthful, the full version EULA for windows does NOT limit the use to more than one computer, you are entitled to use it on a different computer provided you are not using it on the old computer anymore. THAT is what the people from India do not properly understand.

Even with the OEM license where you are not technically entitled to use it on a different machine, in the event of a motherboard FAILURE they will supply you with a new activation key. Point is, if a person is willing to lie, they will get the activation key.

Consider that scenario before you belittle a person for not being happy with the process, I for one remain truthful, unless I'm talking about a fishing story. :)

AsusUser said:
.... I for one remain truthful, unless I'm talking about a fishing story. :)

Does that include when you are explaning certain, ahh, discrepancies in your finances to your wife?

Remember, "The Mens Club" appears as "TMC Resturant" on credit card slips. :D

Back