Windows 98 max resolution?

techweenie

n00b
I have no choice but to use an old computer while some RAM gets RMA'd, but I'm having an issue with my monitor now. The computer is a Pentium II 450MHz with 128MB RAM and a GeForce 5900xt AGP under Windows 98SE. The drivers for both the video card and monitor are installed and working properly, but the highest I can set the resolution is only 1600x1024. The card supports up to 2048x???? over the VGA connector, but only 1600x1200 over DVI. Obviously I have it connected to the VGA port. I can't add a custom resolution of 1680x1050 either. Is this an operating system limitation or a known bug?

That card should support resolutions higher than 1680x1050...you might want to get the latest Nvidia drivers though. Is your 98 install as up to date as possible before MS pulled the plug on support? Also you might want to check that the refresh rate is set to 60mhz instead of the usual 75-85mhz you would use with a crt monitor.

I have Windows updated as much as possible, but I'm using the last 60 series driver released. If I use a later version this computer runs into all sorts of problems. OpenGL screensavers don't work and a few other miscellaneous things aren't right either. If I connect the monitor to the DVI port, the control panel says the monitor supports 1680x1050, but won't let me select it.:confused:

Back