Windows 9 and DirectX 12?

It's already answered, but DX12/WDDM 2.0 would be aligned with a major OS release and DX12 isn't too far in the future. :p

Obviously DX12 will be on Windows 9. The real question is whether or not it will be on 7 (extremely unlikely) and 8 (doubtful).

The question shouldn't be whether Windows 9 will have DX12, that's just obvious. What isn't obvious is whether it'll be locked to Windows 9 or not. I'm thinking they'll continue the usual douchebagery.

Why wouldn't it be OS exclusive? Its been that way for years upon initial release of a new DX.

Obviously DX12 will be on Windows 9. The real question is whether or not it will be on 7 (extremely unlikely) and 8 (doubtful).

Direct X 11.2 doesn't run on 7 or 8, only 8.1.

So DX 12 definitely won't run on 7 or 8.

Direct X 11.2 doesn't run on 7 or 8, only 8.1.

So DX 12 definitely won't run on 7 or 8.
I think some of that has to do with marketing. If you can run DX11 on Vista, I can't imagine big enough changes to 11.2 that it wouldn't be backwards compatible if Microsoft wanted it to be.

I think some of that has to do with marketing. If you can run DX11 on Vista, I can't imagine big enough changes to 11.2 that it wouldn't be backwards compatible if Microsoft wanted it to be.

Partially marketing, mostly business. If you put money into making new software, you're going to want to get a return on it.

who knows maybe mantle adoption could force their hand in putting dx12 in 8.1

Might depend if SteamOS goes anywhere... and maybe how fast AMD can port Mantle to Linux.

If both these things take off, M$ might backport DX to 8.1.

The question shouldn't be whether Windows 9 will have DX12, that's just obvious. What isn't obvious is whether it'll be locked to Windows 9 or not. I'm thinking they'll continue the usual douchebagery.

:rolleyes:

Might depend if SteamOS goes anywhere... and maybe how fast AMD can port Mantle to Linux.

If both these things take off, M$ might backport DX to 8.1.

If they give 8.1 DX12, it's not going to be because of SteamOS or Mantle.

I'd like to see a credible source from Microsoft confirming that Windows 9 will include DX12.

I'd like to see a credible source from Microsoft confirming that Windows 9 will include DX12.

/facepalm

There is absolutely no reason Windows 9 won't include DX12. You think Microsoft would make DX12 Windows 8 only and not give it to 9?

9 is essentially confirmed for next year. DX12 is confirmed for next year as well. It isn't hard to do 2+2.

I'd like to see a credible source from Microsoft

Windows 9 isn't even officially announced. You wont find any official report until the second it is. Everything we know about Windows 9/Threshold is pure speculation and rumor even from 99.9% reliable sources.

No need for any "face-palms," You're probably right, but I learned long ago never to assume anything. There have been many cases in which I thought there would be no reason not include this or that on the next new OS, motherboard or CPU or GPU when it later turned out to be false.

So, I prefer credible sources to confirm claims rather than speculation and assumptions.

For something like DX 12... I don't even... no words can describe it.

They better include it in 8.1 or all the more reason as a gamer and tech junkie I will not support MS any more. Ever since Gates left they have seemed to me like they are anti customer. I sure hope the new guy changes that. If not Sony, Google and Apple can have my money.

They better include it in 8.1 or all the more reason as a gamer and tech junkie I will not support MS any more. Ever since Gates left they have seemed to me like they are anti customer. I sure hope the new guy changes that. If not Sony, Google and Apple can have my money.

LOL! Rigghhhttt..... Because Apple, Google and Sony are so prosumer. :D:rolleyes:

LOL! Rigghhhttt..... Because Apple, Google and Sony are so prosumer. :D:rolleyes:

Yeah, the 20% markup for the Apple name, Google tracking and data mining, Sony disabling OtherOS on PS3 and going after the PS3 jailbreak community are definitely prosumer moves, right? :D

Oh, and let's not forget Google intentionally breaking Youtube apps for Windows Phone, Apple releasing a horrible replacement for Google maps just because they don't want Google on their phones, etc.

I'm sure MS will hold it hostage behind a paywall again, and will have learned nothing. And once again they'll fragment and hold back PC graphics by forcing all but the biggest AAA developers to target the lowest common denominator version of DX to reach the largest potential market. Its a pretty sad state of affairs when DirectX 9.0c games are still being developed and released - its more than a decade old.

Win9 will likely launch without it however. DX12 was slated for "end of 2015" which probably means 2016.

This is why SteamOS in the PC gaming segment: to break up Microsoft's anti-consumer, anti game development nonsense -- if for no other reason than to democratize the 3D renderer. No bullshit or fragmentation, everyone can run the latest OpenGL and developers have just one target.

Last edited:
If you believe there's no fragmentation with OpenGL, you're quite painfully mistaken.

opengl.png

A short question that deserves a short answer: toward what one target do you develop?

Back