• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 8 won't initialize SSD on install..but Win 7 does

Joined
Apr 29, 2002
Messages
3,640
All - I have a an issue that is kicking my butt and I so far have been unable to figure out.

My issue revolves around UEFI and a new SSD for my newly purchased laptop.

Laptop - Lenovo Edge 15 with existing slim rotary WD (works fine)
Situation - Trying to install new SSD in place of rotary and Windows 8.1 refuses to install.
Errors - I believe the issue with the SSD is in relation to the motherboards interpretation of UEFI and legacy support since I have to install from a USB device.

On attempt to install Windows 8 - I have to enable legacy support for USB to boot (usb thumb drive of Windows 8.1 install as well as USB external CD rom). This is the only way either device will boot, even after manual selection. The Windows install starts but fails at the format portion saying the drive cant be used. I believe due to it not having a GPT partition. When I try to create/convert a partition using diskpart in the installed, I get the failure "the specified file cant be found" for various diskpart commands.

I have pulled the SSD out multiple times and reformatted it, cleaned it and created partitions on another machine without issue. I can also install Windows 7 without issue. The issue relates to UEFI and Windows 8 along with my BIOS. Anyone run into this to lead any pointers?
 
I've seen this before as well during EFI installs, but it was caused by loading storage controller drivers. Just accepting the default drivers allowed the install.
 
Back
Top