Windows 8 To Go On Sale In October

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft announced today that Windows 8 will go on sale in October.

Microsoft Corp. announced the time frame for Windows 8's mass-market release Monday in Toronto. A specific sales date in October wasn't provided. Most industry analysts expected Windows 8 would go on sale in the fall to ensure that the machines running on the operating system would be available for the holiday shopping season. Consumers and businesses who don't want to buy new computers will be able to buy Windows 8 and upgrade their systems.

Not really interested in upgrading, I think Windows 7 is absolutely fantastic. I don't really see it as a huge upgrade as it was from XP to 7. Although $40 sounds tempting, honestly I haven't delved into all the features to see what it really offers yet.

Anyone know if the RC is out still?

Heatlesssun's Christmas will probably be in October of this year. :p :D

I'll be saving my pennies for something that has a nice dicking station if the Surface doesn't have the hardware to make me happy by then.

I'll be saving my pennies for something that has a nice dicking station if the Surface doesn't have the hardware to make me happy by then.
Oh god.
I'm still eyeballing the Surface. I don't "need" a tablet/ultraportable, but I think they're cool.

Not really interested in upgrading, I think Windows 7 is absolutely fantastic. I don't really see it as a huge upgrade as it was from XP to 7. Although $40 sounds tempting, honestly I haven't delved into all the features to see what it really offers yet.

Anyone know if the RC is out still?
You can still get the windows 8 RC, I grabbed it just yesterday for my boys laptop. His laptop came with Vista but I decided to let him try out 8 on it, he loves it.

Did anyone bring the popcorn for the show because I can't wipe the shit eating grin off my face right now. I'm excited, but for all the wrong reasons about Windows 8 lol.

He would probably blow his load when that happens. :p

C'mon Microsoft give me surface!! So I can happily slap Linux on there, and make better use of your hardware. :D

He would probably blow his load when that happens. :p

C'mon Microsoft give me surface!! So I can happily slap Linux on there, and make better use of your hardware. :D

How can Linux make better use of hardware of a device that specifically designed to run Windows 8? And I'm the fanboy and zealot around here?:confused:

How can Linux make better use of hardware of a device that specifically designed to run Windows 8? And I'm the fanboy and zealot around here?:confused:

What do you mean "specifically designed for windows 8"? Surface Pro is x86 based, and Linux is currently being port to ARM. If it exists, Linux can run on it. :D C'mon man you should know that. What are your implications of Linux not being able to run on it?

Yes, I am a Unix fanboy, admittedly (Look at my Sig :)) - but you're on a whoooole 'nother level of zealotry. :p

Linux is currently being port to ARM. If it exists, Linux can run on it. :

LOL, who is writing the drivers for Linux to run on Surface? specially when you don't even know the detail of hardware in Surface. :rolleyes:

LOL, who is writing the drivers for Linux to run on Surface? specially when you don't even know the detail of hardware in Surface. :rolleyes:

Look up the Linaro project. :rolleyes: People are already running Ubuntu/Fedora on Tegra 3 based tablets - which is (if rumors are correct) what Surface is equipped with.

Yes, I am a Unix fanboy, admittedly (Look at my Sig :)) - but you're on a whoooole 'nother level of zealotry. :p

No, its not a whole other level of zealotry, its just common sense that if one installs pretty much any version of Linux on a Surface Pro that it's not going to support the full capabilities of device out of the box. Multi-touch screen and track pad, digital pen, the smart cover features, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, accelerometer. Anybody with a lick of sense knows that all these things aren't going to work well with a Linix distro without probably a lot of work and indeed may never work well let alone any sophisticated touch and pen apps.

Only a true zealot would say anything as non-sensical as you did.;)

No, its not a whole other level of zealotry, its just common sense that if one installs pretty much any version of Linux on a Surface Pro that it's not going to support the full capabilities of device out of the box. Multi-touch screen and track pad, digital pen, the smart cover features, Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, accelerometer. Anybody with a lick of sense knows that all these things aren't going to work well with a Linix distro without probably a lot of work and indeed may never work well let alone any sophisticated touch and pen apps.

I'd love to see this version of Linux boot to a Surface Pro because I'm just into that sorta thing: http://inx.maincontent.net/

Also, the Surface Pro is just a Core i5...there's really nothing too different aside from the touch interface and I'm sure drivers can be cobbled together in short order if they haven't already been made.

Also....*DOCKING STATION!!! >.< *facepalm*

Also, the Surface Pro is just a Core i5...there's really nothing too different aside from the touch interface and I'm sure drivers can be cobbled together in short order if they haven't already been made.

But that's just it, a few people working in their spare time don't just cobble drivers and apps that end up with better support than an army of dedicated resources.

A little hesitant to consider upgrading since my sign rig crashes every day and a half with the Release Preview. Windows 7 was rock stable on the same hardware setup. However, when Windows 8 isn't crashing it runs real nice!

Who said anything about having full capabilities? And those features are confined to Windows 8? lol You still haven't addressed my question. The underlying hardware is still software agnostic, I'm talking about running Linux on the tablet itself - not having the ability to utilize any of the extraneous and trivial garnish that's comes with it. I'm looking for a good x86 based tablet, which is what Microsoft is providing so the track-pad/smart cover is meaningless to me. If I can get Linux running on it, all else is gravy.

The argument you're presenting are mere run off on tangents and irrelevant to what I'm considering here. I couldn't care less what your biased rubric of what "sophisticated touch and pen apps" fall under. Ubuntu unity is already optimized for touch and has been for awhile, and I'd be able to run my apps on there.

GPS? Accelerometer? Bluetooth? Are those your arguments? lol Drivers already exist for those capabilities given the architecture (x86) it runs on. The ability to access the net far more significant than utilizing those features.. which aren't even "Windows 8 designed".

I'm only "nonsensical" when your perspective is obscured by your own perpetuated bias and lack of knowledge of the Linux ecosystem. I may be a Unix fanboy, but i'm fair enough to admit that Windows 8 Metro is very good on tablet devices.

What are you saying? I can't run Hannah Montana Linux on my Surface tablet?

hml.3.jpg

Who said anything about having full capabilities?

I guess there's some room for ambiguity here. A lot of people though wouldn't consider it a better use of capability if half of the capability doesn't work.

And those features are confined to Windows 8? lol You still haven't addressed my question. The underlying hardware is still software agnostic, I'm talking about running Linux on the tablet itself - not having the ability to utilize any of the extraneous and trivial garnish that's comes with it. I'm looking for a good x86 based tablet, which is what Microsoft is providing so the track-pad/smart cover is meaningless to me. If I can get Linux running on it, all else is gravy.

Beyond drivers you need software to use the hardware.

I guess there's some room for ambiguity here. A lot of people though wouldn't consider it a better use of capability if half of the capability doesn't work.

Beyond drivers you need software to use the hardware.

I don't know how you got full or half capability out of "better use of hardware". I couldn't give two shits what people consider.. I'm talking about ME. The tablet itself. If I addressed the grand scheme of the general population as the basis of what I initially stated, your argument would hold more water.

Oh, and there's a plethora of good software on Linux that are absent for Android I use at my disposal. Especially for enterprise Linux environments.

Microsoft sure has shafted you hard. :rolleyes:

I excited to give the final product a try. But I'm not excited to hear more complaints . . . .

Look up the Linaro project. :rolleyes: People are already running Ubuntu/Fedora on Tegra 3 based tablets - which is (if rumors are correct) what Surface is equipped with.

Can you name what else is in the Surface other than the Tegra 3? and all you need is driver for Tegra 3 and you don't need drivers for anything else?

Can you name what else is in the Surface other than the Tegra 3? and all you need is driver for Tegra 3 and you don't need drivers for anything else?

The Surface Pro will come with an i5 ULV, 1080p 16x9 display and blablabla stuff I don't care about.

The requirements for running an x86 based OS on ARM are far more tricky and it's not just "drivers," it's probably emulation. I've seen videos of Ubuntu running on ARM and it looked quite slow and resembled an Alpha stage OS. In order to access the applications --natively-- you've got to port them over to the ARM ISA and fiddle with them in order to get them to run well on the different design. That's not going to happen overnight or any time soon.

Well, Tegra 3 is SoC which embeds the CPU/GPU/NB/SB and memory controller into one package. Nvidia offers amazing support for GNU/Linux and Android on ARM. Michael at phoronix has already installed and bench-marked Ubuntu on a tablet with their Nvidias Tegra 3 SoC. Even though Ubuntu runs flawlessly on ARM mobile devices - more portage is being done by the Linaro Project.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA3MjQ

But that's just it, a few people working in their spare time don't just cobble drivers and apps that end up with better support than an army of dedicated resources.

Who needs drivers anyway if you don't leave the command line?

What are you saying? I can't run Hannah Montana Linux on my Surface tablet?

hml.3.jpg

For the record, until this past weekend when my Dell Latitude C640 died, I was running Hannah Montana Linux alongside XP Pro and I loved it! :) Then again, I'm a huge Miley fan too, but the OS was really great and I was so miffed with Disney when they slapped the people making it with a cease and desist.

Also....*DOCKING STATION!!! >.< *facepalm*

For a second there I thought we were about to venture into a whole new realm of "less reason to keep the wife around" lol

I'm kind of in the camp with many others who think win7 is just fine. But then I'm not a tablet user, so my only need for an OS is just for a PC to be a PC, and win7 does that just fine.

The Surface Pro will come with an i5 ULV, 1080p 16x9 display and blablabla stuff I don't care about.

The requirements for running an x86 based OS on ARM are far more tricky and it's not just "drivers," it's probably emulation. I've seen videos of Ubuntu running on ARM and it looked quite slow and resembled an Alpha stage OS. In order to access the applications --natively-- you've got to port them over to the ARM ISA and fiddle with them in order to get them to run well on the different design. That's not going to happen overnight or any time soon.

The Windows ARM tablets arent running an x86 based OS.
The ARM version of Windows 8 is wholly incompatible with any non-Metro apps. EVERYTHING on Win RT (ARM windows 8) will be a metro app, meaning zero backwards compatibility concerns.

I have to admit this entire thread took a hard right for me for about thirty minutes while I processed "Hannah Montana Linux."

That said...retail W8 in October? Okay...in time for the holiday rushes, not quite in time for the back-to-school crowd (if they were indeed trying for those folks, late August to early September would have been ideal).

Being as gaming performance is very little to none vs Windows 7.. I'll pass. Unless they make Metro optional, I think I'll use Windows 7 as my Primary source of windows and maybe 8 as a secondary boot considering I work with a lot of computers, I "HAVE" to buy every new version of windows... but I sure wont use it as my main source due to METRO look and the fact it's not very friendly without a touch screen...

i was planing on skiping win 8, but with the death of windows home server, i might pick one up, need to remake my home server, just geting a little to old, still using original whs. from what I have read so far the core of win 8, is great, its just the crap they added on to it that makes me not want it for main lol

Well still time to decide NAS4Free or win 8 :)

I don't know how you got full or half capability out of "better use of hardware". I couldn't give two shits what people consider.. I'm talking about ME. The tablet itself. If I addressed the grand scheme of the general population as the basis of what I initially stated, your argument would hold more water.

Oh, and there's a plethora of good software on Linux that are absent for Android I use at my disposal. Especially for enterprise Linux environments.

Microsoft sure has shafted you hard. :rolleyes:

Just a little background.

I've been using a tablet as my secondary device for about three years now, I initially had an iPad on and am currently typing on a "New iPad" and look to pickup a Nexus 7 in the coming weeks. I love Linux and use it everyday along with Apple and Microsoft products. Each environment has their own strengths and weaknesses depending on the application. Just trying to state that I am unbiased before moving onto my main point.

I really don't see the logic in wanting to run Linux on a Slate Pro. You're robbing yourself of functionality for no purpose other then, IMO, simply not running Microsoft software. There isn't a Linux disrtro out there (on the consumer side) that I know of that's tuned for use on a touch based device like a tablet. The only thing that comes moderately close is Canonicals Unity movement which fails in camparison to Windows 8 and iOS. What would you be gaining other then a lot of frustration? 98% of my Linux work is done through a text based shell like bash or zsh, while I love the power and ease of use that it brings me that experience isnt going to translate well to a tablet.

I feel like you're just sticking your nose up at heatless because you know he's mostly pro-MS and you feel obligated to do that as a "hardcore" Linux user. I try to use as much technology as possible and enjoy using FOSS/Apple/Microsoft products, I can tell you that there isn't a single mobile ecosystem that will be as powerful and diverse as Windows 8 on a tablet. The iPad really has no working file system that's available to the end user so it's hard to use it for productivity, IMO and while Android seems to have that it's marred by heavy fragmentation and an overall dismal user experience. (looking forward to see if my feelings on android and tablets bases around it have changed in 4.0+).

Be logical and don't hate for no reason!

TheBluwChannel, there's no room for logic in a discussion about Microsoft products, especially their OS and browsers, you should know this by now. I think local file operations are a little faster in Android 4.0. I'm using Astro File manager and while I find the interface a little annoying at times it seems to chew through bulk operations pretty quickly.

Hey heatlesssun, what's the latest, flagship Windows 8 phone right now?

I have been locked onto the Samsung Galaxy S3, but if Windows 8 turns out to be a winning combination across the desktop, mobile, and tablet scene, I just may be convinced to ditch Android and the all the beauty of the S3.

Looking forward to Windows 8's release. My laptop is eligible for a free upgrade, and I could've sworn that I read in the News Section here a little ways back about Win 8 being $19.99. How practical it will be for a PC, without a Win8 phone or tablet, or touchscreen remains to be seen. I'll decide after it's released, unless heatless can convince me now. :)

Just a little background.

I've been using a tablet as my secondary device for about three years now, I initially had an iPad on and am currently typing on a "New iPad" and look to pickup a Nexus 7 in the coming weeks. I love Linux and use it everyday along with Apple and Microsoft products. Each environment has their own strengths and weaknesses depending on the application. Just trying to state that I am unbiased before moving onto my main point.

I really don't see the logic in wanting to run Linux on a Slate Pro. You're robbing yourself of functionality for no purpose other then, IMO, simply not running Microsoft software. There isn't a Linux disrtro out there (on the consumer side) that I know of that's tuned for use on a touch based device like a tablet. The only thing that comes moderately close is Canonicals Unity movement which fails in camparison to Windows 8 and iOS. What would you be gaining other then a lot of frustration? 98% of my Linux work is done through a text based shell like bash or zsh, while I love the power and ease of use that it brings me that experience isnt going to translate well to a tablet.

I feel like you're just sticking your nose up at heatless because you know he's mostly pro-MS and you feel obligated to do that as a "hardcore" Linux user. I try to use as much technology as possible and enjoy using FOSS/Apple/Microsoft products, I can tell you that there isn't a single mobile ecosystem that will be as powerful and diverse as Windows 8 on a tablet. The iPad really has no working file system that's available to the end user so it's hard to use it for productivity, IMO and while Android seems to have that it's marred by heavy fragmentation and an overall dismal user experience. (looking forward to see if my feelings on android and tablets bases around it have changed in 4.0+).

Be logical and don't hate for no reason!

Did you even read the earlier posts? :rolleyes: You are just filled with Straws.

Not being able to run Microsoft software on the Surface Pro is of no concern to me when I only care about it's underlying hardware (because it's good) - I've stated this twice already. The extensions (the keyboard pad) are just trivial accessories to me. So your "functionality argument is meaningless. If you contend to regurgitate the bullshit spewing from heartlesessun then your stance isn't any different than the former, and should go do more research. You keep comparing Ubuntu to Windows 8 when I've thoroughly articulated that I don't give a shit about running Microsoft Software, including it's ecosystem. Mac OS X has a ton of features that are "supposedly" designed specifically for thier line of Macbook laptops - yet a lot of users are running Linux flawlessly on them without any complaints with multi-touch gestures and all of that jazz. What proposition do you hold of those two situations being any distinctive? They're able to run and use Linux on software agnostic hardware tagged with pretty little stickers and shrouded by PR bulllshit - while having good hardware. Yes, I said Apple makes good hardware (*grasp!!* paradox?)

I'm not going "hardcore" Linux on anyone or sticking my nose up in him. He displayed willful lack of knowledge and approached my consideration at a completely disrespectful and biased angle. I even, modestly, called myself a fanboy to neutralize his emotional need to insult but he chose to compound his ridiculous bullshit. Linux is HIGHLY portable as I've said, although he isn't wrong that it takes a lot of work for low-level portage of software - there are already a lot of people (w/ corporate backing) doing so... for the ARM architecture, but that was just another point I was trying to make for Surface (not Pro) obviously. You don't "see" the Logic in my motives simply because the Microshaft is too far up your ass. :p I'm hating either, I'm simply justifying my motives.

Why are you even mentioning Androids fragmentation? Or how you work with Linux? That has nothing to do with my issue here. I already said Unity has been optimized for touch damnit, so you don't need to engage in lecturing me on something I'm fully aware of.

Back