Windows 8 Tips & Tricks

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
A few tips to make things a bit easier on Windows 8 newbies:

• Uninstall the Metro-based PDF reader app (by right clicking on start-->all apps-->right click on Reader-->uninstall) and replace with PDFXChange or your preferred Win7 viewer of choice.
  • Immediately uninstall the Photos metro app and go download the Windows Live Essentials pack; make Photo Gallery your default application for viewing pics.
  • Uninstall some of the other unnecessary Metro apps that you don't think that you need (personally got rid of videos, sports, news, etc.). I like weather and the calendar, so I kept them..

• Create links for Control Panel and Run on your start screen (right click on start ---> all apps---->find CP/Run on the all apps menu--->right click on each and hit "Pin to Start")

• Learn how to categorize your apps in the start menu by making named groups. Use the little minus button to zoom out, hover over the group you want to name, right click.

• Create Restart/Shut Down/Hibernate/whatever-power-down-option-you-use shortcuts

The start screen is a lot less intimidating with about 5-10 minutes of work.

Have you right-clicked on the start hotspot?

That's where I get most of my usefull links from.

Enabling GODMODE

If you want all your Windows settings available in one place use god mode (this also works in Windows 7).

1. Right click on desktop -> New -> Folder to create a new Folder. Then rename the newly created folder as:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

2. The folder icon will change to ‘GodMode’. Click to open and modify settings as necessary.

Thanks for the tip on GodMode. Just impressed my18 year old son with his new laptop.

There is a "mini GodMode" in Windows 8...

n Windows 8, there is a mini god mode present right on the desktop, but it’s not visible by default. The mini god mode lets you quickly access Programs and Features, Network Connections, Power Options, Event Viewer, System (system properties), Device Manager, Disk Management, Computer Management, Command Prompt, Command Prompt (with admin rights), Task Manager, Control Panel, Windows Explorer, Search, Run, and Desktop.

So, how to access or open this mini god mode? It’s simple. When you are in desktop mode, move the mouse cursor to the lower left bottom of the screen to see the new Metro Start button. Now, instead of a left-click, do a right-click on the button to view the mini god mode!

There is a "mini GodMode" in Windows 8...

n Windows 8, there is a mini god mode present right on the desktop, but it’s not visible by default. The mini god mode lets you quickly access Programs and Features, Network Connections, Power Options, Event Viewer, System (system properties), Device Manager, Disk Management, Computer Management, Command Prompt, Command Prompt (with admin rights), Task Manager, Control Panel, Windows Explorer, Search, Run, and Desktop.

So, how to access or open this mini god mode? It’s simple. When you are in desktop mode, move the mouse cursor to the lower left bottom of the screen to see the new Metro Start button. Now, instead of a left-click, do a right-click on the button to view the mini god mode!

Or just hit winkey + x

They switch you to Metro Fullscreen. If you were on the desktop it is not very usefull.

You can right cicky the bottom left no matter the screen and you get that shortcut list.

Also you don't have to fart around uninstalling anything as well. All the Win7 viewers and whatnot are still there, just change your Open With and go hunt for the program in Program Files.

Right click on a file in File Explorer. It should be there and it's still in the properties.

Back