Windows 8 tips, tricks etc.

leezard

Supreme [H]ardness
Lot of people bashing windows 8, but not many providing any good info so figured I'd start a thread for people to post helpful info. If you want to bash Win 8 theres plenty of other threads for that, please keep it out of this one.

Heres a list of common keyboard shortcuts

Windows key Shows the new Start screen (Metro).
Win + type keyword Instant application search (same as in Windows 7).
Win + D Standard Windows desktop. Also minimizes/restores all open windows in desktop mode.
Win + Q Shows all installed apps.
Win + W Instant search for settings.
Win + F Instant search for files.
Win + I Settings sidebar (control panel, network, volume, brightness, notifications, and more).
Win + P Shows multi-monitor options, also useful for connecting an external monitor or projector.
Win + X Power user shortcut menu (Device Manager, Control Panel, Command Prompt, Power Options, etc.).
Win + Z Shows App Bar in Metro applications.
Win + . (period) Snaps the current Metro app to the right side of the screen. Do it twice and it will snap to the left.
Win + . (period) + Shift Snaps the current Metro app to the left side of the screen.
Win + J Switches focus between snapped Metro apps.
Win + Page Up / Down Moves full-screen Metro app to secondary monitor.
Win + Left / Right arrow Moves and snaps desktop applications in that direction, or to a different monitor.
Win + Tab Switches between open applications. Similar to using the left-upper hot corner with a mouse.
Win + L Locks Windows.
Win + Prt Sc saves a screen shot to the pictures dir

Add Windows media center (posted by OldPueblo)

Where is Windows Media Center?
Windows Media Center is not preinstalled in Windows 8 Release Preview. If you want to use Windows Media Center, you need to add it by following these steps:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Add features to Windows 8.

Tap or click I already have a product key.

Enter this product key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7 and then click Next.

Select the checkbox to accept the license terms and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart and Windows Media Center will now be on your PC and the tile will be pinned to the Start screen.

Will add more as I find them, I'm using Win 8 as my full time Os at home to give it a fair shot.

Add your own tips if you have them.

Last edited:
Windows + Q actually just invokes the search charm. From the desktop, this starts all apps, but it's context-specific. In the store, it starts store search, for example.

Win+C shows the charms bar.

Win + shift + arrow moves an application from monitor to monitor (without snapping)

Win + E launches explorer

Win + T toggles through applications on the superbar

Win + # launches or invokes that number program from the superbar

Win + spacebar invokes ease of access

Other good things to know: on the start menu you can zoom out (pinch on tablet, click lower right corner on desktop) and create titles for groups.

Right clicking with the mouse on any app in Mtero will bring up options to, uninstall the app, unpin it or Turn live Tile on or off.

Right clicking on installed programs in Metro brings up many more options such as, Run as Administrator, pin to task bar, open new window, and open location.

Correct me if I'm wrong but snap didnt work well for multiple monitors in 7 did it?

If it did i never noticed.

In win 8 for example, win key + right arrow snaps to right edge of monitor one, win key + right arrow again snaps to left edge of monitor 2, repeat again to snap to right edge...it wraps so if you keep repeating you eventually end up back on monitor 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but snap didnt work well for multiple monitors in 7 did it?

If it did i never noticed.

In win 8 for example, win key + right arrow snaps to right edge of monitor one, win key + right arrow again snaps to left edge of monitor 2, repeat again to snap to right edge...it wraps so if you keep repeating you eventually end up back on monitor 1
This worked exactly the same way in Win7. Handy, though.

One thing I dont like is the steps it takes to reboot or shutdown. Win key +c, click settings, then click power to choose what option you want.

I created shortcuts to reboot and shutdown , placed them in my start up folder so they show up on the start screen as tiles and then pinned them to my taskbar

Right click on desktop, choose new>shortcut >where it says type the location enter:

for reboot: C:\windows\system32\shutdown /r /t 10

for shutdown: C:\windows\system32\shutdown /s /t 10

The number on the end is seconds, you can adjust it to wait any number of seconds before reboot or shutdown you like

click next and name the shortcut when your finished you'll have a shortcut on your desktop to reboot or shutdown right click the shortcut, cut and then paste it in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Now when you go to your Metro start screen you will have a tile for shutdown and reboot. Right click the tile and choose pin to taskbar.

Now you have a shutdown and reboot option on the start screen and the desktop.

looking for/opening non metro apps seems to be a pain in the ass. Is there an easy way to do this (other than searching from the metro menu or literally going into the program file folder)?

looking for/opening non metro apps seems to be a pain in the ass. Is there an easy way to do this (other than searching from the metro menu or literally going into the program file folder)?

rc8oyd.jpg

Right click, or swipe up on touch screen.

Remember you can always pin the programs you use the most, just like before. Either to Metro or to the taskbar on the desktop.

or you could win + i and just click power.

thats still hitting a keyboard shortcut and two clicks (one on power and one on restart or shutdown)

never said my way was the only way or best way, its just what works for me and may work best for someone else.

hit the windows key, start typing program name and hit enter

Back