Windows 8 Tablets Unwrapped at IFA in Berlin

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
One of the messages coming out of the IFA in Berlin this year is it’s going to be a good year for tablets. The slate of new entries into the tablet realm is just too long to list. So we focus on Dell, HP and Sony for some good examples of what to expect this year.

The manufacturers hope their machines hit the spot as PC sales slump. Analysts at IDC see no end in sight to the depressing market. The bean counters have revised downwards the number of PCs expected to be sold this year and over the next four years.

My only problem with Windows 8 tablets is Windows 8. Once Microsoft changes that they'll be good to go! :D

Nah in all seriousness though I like the tablets. Most, if not all, of the tablets are supposed to have pen input right?

Size is also a big factor for me. I currently use a Galaxy Note as a "tablet" and man(!) do I LOVE it! Size is perfect! Even my beloved Playbook hasn't been touched in weeks!

I would like a Windows 8 tablet with around a 4 inch screen. 10 inch panels are just too big to be carried discreetly. :(

My only problem with Windows 8 tablets is Windows 8. Once Microsoft changes that they'll be good to go! :D
Gotta disagree with you there. IMO Windows 8 looks purpose built FOR tablets, and that's what's pissing off the desktop peeps that they are using a tablet/phone type touch interface that isn't ideal for a mouse/keyboard combo.

If I were going to get a tablet though, W8 all the way.

Yup, if I can get a nice, hi-res screen with a real CPU and full-OS that can run as a tablet or as a laptop-like system. I'll buy one.

I would like a Windows 8 tablet with around a 4 inch screen. 10 inch panels are just too big to be carried discreetly. :(

I want one with a 27" screen so I can carry it around on my shoulders like the Boom Boxes from the 70s and 80s ... it would make good theft protection also since you could just cold cock the mugger who tried to take it :D

I want one with a 27" screen so I can carry it around on my shoulders like the Boom Boxes from the 70s and 80s ... it would make good theft protection also since you could just cold cock the mugger who tried to take it :D

That actually would be pretty impressive to see. I +1 the desire for a 27" tablet just to see someone cubbing a mugger with it.

It's a phone though, which means that it'll cost ~$2,500 to feed over its 2 year contract lifespan. Or I'll have to pay ~$500 to get one from a carrier and then early terminate a contract. I wanna bank all my monies and live atop a giant mountain of it when I'm old and am too insane to do anything but sit around on a rocking chair, mumbling incoherently about how it was better when we were switching packets which is why I don't have a cell phone or a land line. :)

It's a phone though, which means that it'll cost ~$2,500 to feed over its 2 year contract lifespan. Or I'll have to pay ~$500 to get one from a carrier and then early terminate a contract. I wanna bank all my monies and live atop a giant mountain of it when I'm old and am too insane to do anything but sit around on a rocking chair, mumbling incoherently about how it was better when we were switching packets which is why I don't have a cell phone or a land line. :)

by the time Win8 phone is out, you might be able to get your hands on some cheap 7.5 phones from Craigslist without a plan. I wonder if Win7.5 apps are compatible with Win8 and vice versa. Perhaps you could get your hands on a WinRT installer and upgrade the 7.5 phone.

by the time Win8 phone is out, you might be able to get your hands on some cheap 7.5 phones from Craigslist without a plan. I wonder if Win7.5 apps are compatible with Win8 and vice versa. Perhaps you could get your hands on a WinRT installer and upgrade the 7.5 phone.

That sounds painful...and fun! Where do I sign up?! ;)

I might just be able to wait around a bit until either a very small screen WinRT device goes to market or maybe someone will take Intel's phone-friendly Atom and load x86 Windows 8 on a phone sized platform. I'm not going to hold my breath though. I'm not representative of any sort of large market segment that will generate enough profit to justify the creation of such a device.

Yup, if I can get a nice, hi-res screen with a real CPU and full-OS that can run as a tablet or as a laptop-like system. I'll buy one.

Did you see the sony tablet yesterday? It will sure meet your requirements but it sure won't be cheap I can tell you that much

Back