Windows 8 Sleep

ep3w

Gawd
I'm dual booting windows 8 and 7 right now. Sleep works fine in windows 7, not so much in 8. When I try to wake it from sleep I just get a black screen. No mouse, keyboard, nothing so I have to hard reset. Sometimes it'll wake itself up from sleep and do this too. Every time it does this. Any ideas?

Since my first SSD I learned that you want to keep all firmware (BIOS and SSD) up to date. Second, the most reliable chipset drivers are the OEM versions. Sure, you can try the drivers directly from Intel. I usually try the OEM versions for a week, testing sleep in particular. If still good I'll try the most recent Intel versions.

Since my first SSD I learned that you want to keep all firmware (BIOS and SSD) up to date. Second, the most reliable chipset drivers are the OEM versions. Sure, you can try the drivers directly from Intel. I usually try the OEM versions for a week, testing sleep in particular. If still good I'll try the most recent Intel versions.

Latest BIOS, latest ssd firmware and latest chipset driver from Asus website(9301019) already installed.

Have you tried the latest Intel versions? I've had sleep issues before, but not for a very long time. Also, under power settings, set your OS to high performance. Not ideal, I know.

I was solid using Win7. No issues with my M4s, but a Vertex2 was problematic. However, now I've seen intermittent issues on Win8 using my M4s. I decided to uninstall recently installed programs and sleep has been solid for a week again. I'm not going to bad mouth the program I think was causing my issues. Too early for that.

Last edited:
Have you tried the latest Intel versions? I've had sleep issues before, but not for a very long time. Also, under power settings, set your OS to high performance. Not ideal, I know.

I was solid using Win7. No issues with my M4s, but a Vertex2 was problematic. However, now I've seen intermittent issues on Win8 using my M4s. I decided to uninstall recently installed programs and sleep has been solid for a week again. I'm not going to bad mouth the program I think was causing my issues. Too early for that.

I've got very little installed so far on this (haven't been using it regularly since sleep won't work). I'm using a Samsung 830. I'm set to high performance now.

I can't find an official driver on intels website that says its for Windows 8. When I try to install 9.2.0.1030 for win 7, it says I already have a newer version installed.

I did not yet seen the windows 8 however i am also studying about it and i am glad that i seen some issue like this and thanks for everyone on giving the info.

I've got 9.2.0.1030 installed and still no go. Also with latest nvidia drivers. It wakes up to a black screen every time.
w0rod1.png

I had problems similar to this. One of my computers would wake up with a black screen and another computer would not sleep consistently. It would just wake up randomly. I found with both computers un-checking the "Wake on pattern Match" in the power management tab for the network adapter to help.

Also, If you are talking about the mother board in you sig then I believe you have the Intel 82579 Ethernet chip. You might want to download the latest Ethernet drivers from Intel. Also, if your board has the 82579V chip there is an update to solve the problem where the computer wakes from sleep but the internet connection does not work until you reboot.

Click the link below and select the first windows 8 you come to and it will give you links to the driver and update(If you have the 82579V) to download.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...ntroller&ProdId=3299&LineId=976&FamilyId=2280

I have this problem with one of my older computers and Windows 7.
It's a video driver issue. What seems to happen is that your video is not re-initialised if you will.
The only thing that will fix it is an updated driver.

If your computer does go into this mode and you have your hardware power button set to send your computer into hibernate then press it and hibernate your computer. Once hibernated power it back on and you will pick up where you left off without having to do a hard reset.

I have the latest network drivers from intel, but I tried reinstalling those anyways and no change. Wake on pattern match was already disabled (disabling that stopped it waking up randomly but still the black screen).

I'm starting to think its a video driver issue too. I updated to latest beta 310.54 and still have the issue (I forgot to check what driver I was on before that). I am using SLI and dual monitors if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Its definitely an SLI issue. It works fine with SLI disabled. I guess I may just need to wait for Nvidia to fix it.

Last edited:
Back