Windows 8 Server 2008 Terminal Server under Vmware Esxi 5

Skids1

Gawd
Has anyone had slow video/mouse/keyboard performance under terminal server in Windows 2008 R2 ?

We have installed the VMware Tools, Updated the video driver (although we cannot enable hardware acceleration) and taken all updates. Video memory was adjusted to 32MB for a standard resolution of 1024x768. Even one loan user logged in via RDP (not even using the thin client SunRay2 box) has keyboard delay lag when trying to scroll in a certain section in our Meditech EMAR section. The keyboard key presses are still catching up when you release the up or down arrow. I have also adjusted performance settings in the RDP session itself with no difference. If anyone else has a Windows Server 2008 R2 installed under ESXi 5 what is the video driver you are using?

If you've already updated the video driver this is probably not going to help, but just in case double check your driver with this VMware KB.

I have a couple running under ESX 5.1. They both run flawlessly. I am just using the default driver for video, and have it set to 8MB of RAM.
How does the VM act if you log into the console say through vSphere?

Video card settings have nothing to do with the performance of the graphics or mouse when logged in via RDP.

If you have slow mouse movements / keyboard i suggest you check the network, including network drivers of the virtual machine. vmxnet3?

Still lags throught the console via vsphere.

If it lags through the vClient console I would think that the display driver is incorrect. If you've verified that it is correct maybe it would be worthwhile to create a fresh Win2K8 server vm, install VMware Tools (checking the display driver) and then seeing if it still lags in the vClient console. Just a thought ;)

Back