Windows 8 s**ks - confirmed :D

Looking at the game videos, it doesn't look like a touchscreen-friendly game anyway. He could have just said that. But hey, cool to bust on Windows 8 so let me drag this out..

Looked like an interesting game until I saw they sell game addons that look imbalancing. I really squirm when I see stuff like that. Also nice that someone(s) has bought all the $15,000 pledge items.

He did mention the development point of view too. But this wasn't meant as a strong argument against Win8, but more of a fun fact :)

Your points about SC have been addressed, it's not an issue.

So non-touch enables game sucks in touch environment, therefore fault of Windows 8... ok.

I ran across a few websites that flipped out on a surface pro, wasn't the OS's fault, it was that the websites hadn't been configured for touch.

Civ V touch works like a beast.

Good thing windows 8 runs excellent with a mouse and keyboard.

Looking at the game videos, it doesn't look like a touchscreen-friendly game anyway. He could have just said that. But hey, cool to bust on Windows 8 so let me drag this out..

You really think Chris Roberts stating "everyone here hates it" was because he thinks it's "cool to bust on Windows 8"?

SMH. Apologists will just never get it.

You really think Chris Roberts stating "everyone here hates it" was because he thinks it's "cool to bust on Windows 8"?

And the haters don't seem to get that Windows 8.x works with a keyboard and mouse within desktop applications just like prior versions of Windows. If the app isn't suited for touch, like SuperSubZero and schizrade pointed out, why not just say that instead of some long spiel about Windows 8?

Apologists... lmao. Ok.

I still haven't used the start menu in over a month on any of my win8/server 2012 boxes. The right click on the start icon has solved more digging that the worthless, outdated classic start menu ever solved. That, and just as it was before, whack the windows key and start typing. Nothing has changed, just looks. Move on. It is faster with more tools. PS4.0 is worth dealing with any dumb UI issue any day.

Or are you still one of those that call it a dos prompt. lol

Seriously, when I can right click on the stupid start bubble in win7 and get this, I will care.

Killer feature for my line of work. Love it.

Killer feature for my line of work. Love it.

A large percentage of the complaints about Windows 8 go away when one knows about this menu. Love or hate 8, it's going to quickly become irrelevant anyway with 9 about a year to 18 months out. But it's beyond incredulous to call everyone that points out features of a product apologists that so often bashers don't even know exist because they spent countless hours bashing the product compared to spending just a couple of hours to learn a few things.

A large percentage of the complaints about Windows 8 go away when one knows about this menu. Love or hate 8, it's going to quickly become irrelevant anyway with 9 about a year to 18 months out. But it's beyond incredulous to call everyone that points out features of a product apologists that so often bashers don't even know exist because they spent countless hours bashing the product compared to spending just a couple of hours to learn a few things.

That menu is LITERALLY the only thing keeping Windows 8 on its feet.

That menu is LITERALLY the only thing keeping Windows 8 on its feet.

Then the only thing that kept Windows 7 on its feet was the Start Menu, which indeed does seem to be the biggest complaint by many about Windows 8. And I guess that's why I think much of Windows 8 hate is overhyped because it's hard to imagine that most people that complain about the Start Menu actually spend hours upon hours a day in it and still consider themselves productive. It's just a list of static links and an inline search. Of course that begs the question why didn't Microsoft leave an option in it for Windows 8? Probably because someone would have complained about that too. Heck there's people complaining about the taskbar now showing all apps, both desktop and modern, in the 8.1 update, and I have no idea why in the world way anyone would complain about that.

Been using Windows 8.1 for weeks now. Still not sure how to "properly" use and navigate through it. Most of the time it is cumbersome.

win8 is just for tablets or touch ultrabooks , that's all

win7 is way better for anything else :)

Been using Windows 8.1 for weeks now. Still not sure how to "properly" use and navigate through it. Most of the time it is cumbersome.

All apps screen needs work. It needs folders. It's a pain to go through. That I think anyone that has used Windows 8.1 can universally agree on. Automatic sorting of the Start Screen would be a plus. However, the Start Screen does rely heavily on the user to customize it to their liking. Fragmentation of the control panel is also a mess, which I think everyone can also agree on. For everything else though, it's basically Windows 7.

Additionally, there is no "proper" way to use an OS. There's only your style and what works best for you.

win8 is just for tablets or touch ultrabooks , that's all

win7 is way better for anything else :)

Yeah... no. 8.1 works fine on desktops and laptops, it's just a matter of preference. I prefer the customization that the Start Screen gives me with Oblytile. Otherwise, it's exactly like 7 except for the gripes I mentioned above.

Pin most commonly used items to the taskbar. Pin less commonly used items in whatever order you please in the start menu. Anything else, hit windows key and start typing to search for it. Change the default application for certain file types so they open in the desktop applications (PDFs etc.)

There you have now customized W8 and can be very efficient, with minimal to no navigating.

All apps screen needs work. It needs folders. It's a pain to go through.

I'm not saying that All Apps and the Start Screen don't need improving, but the more I think about folders, the more ambivalent I'm about them, at least with these elements in full screen. The 8.1 Update added a nice little touch. Clicking on a group title activates semantic zoom and top level folders are turned into groups. I really think this setup allows for faster navigation of a lot more stuff than traditional folders. I think what I would like to see is an extension of what was started in 8.1 with the different views, by name, by category, etc. Perhaps a folder view could be an option. Having the flexibility to see apps in different views has a lot of potential.

PS4.0 is worth dealing with any dumb UI issue any day.

Or are you still one of those that call it a dos prompt. lol

People who can't even figure out how to use Windows 8 effectively generally aren't the kind of people who can write scripts or would in any other way understand how to use Powershell. So in all likelihood, your post was lost on them.

TBH, till SC actually ships as promised (which has already been delayed and delayed and lied about over and over) Roberts opinion of anything could not be any more irrelevant.

Why should he ship anything? He will just keep getting money handed to him by fans that want another ship that another fan made. Dude doesn't have to do any work and is being given millions of dollars for literally nothing.

Why should he ship anything? He will just keep getting money handed to him by fans that want another ship that another fan made. Dude doesn't have to do any work and is being given millions of dollars for literally nothing.

Damn, is that what he does? Literally nothing?

And he gets millions of dollars for doing this?

Well hot dog

TBH, till SC actually ships as promised (which has already been delayed and delayed and lied about over and over) Roberts opinion of anything could not be any more irrelevant.

Let me get this straight - he shouldn't have an opinion of Windows 8 .. until he ships his game?

Too funny, comments like that actually make hls seem rational.

I really like Windows 7. Runs stable, is fast and can do everything I need it to do. Glad we overlooked all the headaches associated with Windows 8. Lets hope Microsoft learns with Windows 9.

IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING!!! OMG!!!! Where do I find my paint app????!?!?!?!?

*hit windows key, type paint, hit enter*

OMFG TOO HARD!!!!

People who can't even figure out how to use Windows 8 effectively generally aren't the kind of people who can write scripts or would in any other way understand how to use Powershell. So in all likelihood, your post was lost on them.

Apparently not. Like all the "Admins" I come across that call Powershell that "Blue DOS prompt."

Zombies.

Apparently not. Like all the "Admins" I come across that call Powershell that "Blue DOS prompt."

One of my old coworkers was complaining to me about how much he couldn't find anything in the new Server 2012 interface. When I asked why he wasn't just using Powershell to manage the server, his answer was "I don't want to". It's hard for me to feel bad for people who create problems for themselves.

Back