Windows 8 Release Preview Download

Windows 8
no windows aero , back to solid blocks ackkkkk , so xp ishhhh
no start menu , if it works dont fix it I dont care if its been on since 94
metro display built more for a tablet or phone than windows , ya now well all buy 24 inch touch screens , ya sure . . .
quicker boot . . . but um i have a ssd all ready , Placebo effect , cause either is fast
underneath the system is windows 7 , with a whole bunch of half witted ideas to take our money . . . till they fix them all again in windows 9 , and well pay again :rolleyes:

First windows I'm passing up ,

Yea, dumbed down for the anemic arm architecture.

Windows 8 will only be good for tablets and phones. I seriously wouldn't even try or be bothered to try adapting it to a desktop. No point in getting it to look like windows 7 when we already have what we want. It's a step back to cater to what is just a toy fad. Tablets are still pointless.

LOL, enjoy losing money. P.S. Enjoy your several-years-old computer, too... shame it won't run one of the best operating systems known to man, but the rest of us will try to wave to you limping behind...
You are trolling, right? Windows 8, the best OS there is?
And I am not installing an unreleased OS on my desktop, but that "old" computer that works perfectly well with Windows 7 and Windows 8 too, just not that release preview because of some bug they didn't have in the previous two releases.
You have a serious problem if you need to insult people to get a hard-on.

Okay so beyond the start button now essentially being a full screen thing and a few minor cosmetic changes, what's the big deal? The desktop is still basically Win7? Some of you would just prefer the same product released over and over? Having used a Windows Phone for the last year I'm loving Metro and the new ecosystem and can't wait for the tablet.

Oh, and the Media Center Pack is not available for download yet either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/faq#

Where is Windows Media Center?
Windows Media Center is not preinstalled in Windows 8 Release Preview. If you want to use Windows Media Center, you need to add it by following these steps:

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Add features to Windows 8.

Tap or click I already have a product key.

Enter this product key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7 and then click Next.

Select the checkbox to accept the license terms and then click Add features.

Your PC will restart and Windows Media Center will now be on your PC and the tile will be pinned to the Start screen.

Will probably build a new machine in Jan/Feb, add a LEAP gesture device and Win8. No point in getting it until the LEAP is out for purchase.

But once it does, I can easily see myself swiping and stabbing the air in front of my monitor instead of using the mouse. Looking forward to it, actually.

BB

You think Win9 is going to magically go back to something?

Well it will if Windows 8 tanks and gets the same rap as Vista, yeah it will. Plus the Windows 8 tablet future isn't looking rosy right now and if that tanks too...

Either that or MS will give us a Metro/Touch off switch. Will mean a slow death for the Metro App store.

9 is a possible for corporate adoption though if current trends hold up it could mean corps holding onto 7 till 10 comes around.

I think we have a case of force of personality at the top in MS and a couple of very influential people need to step back a bit and look at where they are trying to lead Average Joes and reassess whether they want to follow.

Also how many of you have used it with a touchscreen?

I have it installed on a Windows Tablet laptop so I'm part way there. The Touch works etc.

Have to say it's not essential, just feels like a gimmick so I'd be happy to turn it off.

Like 3D TVs.

"1999 wants it's AOL interface back." tooo funny!! but yes what are they thinking!!!??? it is like they are trying their hardest to think how they can become irrelevant the fastest.

Okay so beyond the start button now essentially being a full screen thing and a few minor cosmetic changes, what's the big deal? The desktop is still basically Win7? Some of you would just prefer the same product released over and over? Having used a Windows Phone for the last year I'm loving Metro and the new ecosystem and can't wait for the tablet.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/faq#

Cool, thank you for the link. :D

I'll be installing this today..As I have to learn it because I do Public Help Desk for a ISP. Trying to walk an 80 year old woman blindly through this OS will make me shoot my self lol. So I have no choce in using it or not. We will see how it goes..

I can imagine the calls...

"Okay move the cursor to the top right of the screen!"

"Why? There isnt anything there!"

"Trust me, move it to the top right!"

"So how far to the top right..oh hold on...something appeared...no..it's gone. What do I di again?"

"Move the pointer to the top right of the screen some (shudders) ahem..charms should appear!"

"Charms? what are those?"

"That doesnt matter, they should appear top right when you move the pointer there."

"Well I'm moving the mouse there but nothing is happening, am I in the right place?"

And so on and so on.......

I work with people that have not and will never grasp using Windows XP for simple things (and these are engineers that also use AutoCAD) so why do we always worry about the retards? They will be retarded no matter what they use.

This happens everytime there is a new os released weather it be windows, linux, mac-os or anything else. You change something and people freak out because icon x is not there anymore or feature y is gone.

People will adapt just like they have before and power-users will continue to either tweak windows 8 to make it what they want or pull an XP move and drive 7 into the dirt.

Just like when vista came out and basically everyone stayed on XP because either vista was to slow or it didn't do something or whatever. I pulled the trigger and jump on the vista bandwagon which I think helped me the transition to 7 when it finally hit.

Personally at the end of the day as long

Love it while in midstream of my reply it posts and I can't edit....

Anyway, as long at the end of the day the OS does what I want it to do and things work pretty well I will be happy. So I don't have desktop.. ok fine, not a big deal as I can adapt.

I have been in IT for almost 20 years now and have seen much more drastic changes than this so this isn't such a huge crisis. And besides once 8 is released and things are optimized for it you may be suprised as to how much better it might than 7.

From what I hear (I don't have multi-monitors on this workstation yet) multi-monitor support is leaps and bounds better than 7.

Will probably build a new machine in Jan/Feb, add a LEAP gesture device and Win8. No point in getting it until the LEAP is out for purchase.

But once it does, I can easily see myself swiping and stabbing the air in front of my monitor instead of using the mouse. Looking forward to it, actually.

BB

Go buy a Wii or kinect if you want to experience that..you will find that gets old in about 10 minutes when your arm gets tired.

I love change when it is a positive improvement. I don't love change for the sake of change. Win 8 is change for the sake of change and represents a step backwards in user interfaces.

OI do love the predictions that the metro app store is going to explode..sort of like it was supposed to do when Win phone 7 came out and didn't.

Love it while in midstream of my reply it posts and I can't edit....

Anyway, as long at the end of the day the OS does what I want it to do and things work pretty well I will be happy. So I don't have desktop.. ok fine, not a big deal as I can adapt.

I have been in IT for almost 20 years now and have seen much more drastic changes than this so this isn't such a huge crisis. And besides once 8 is released and things are optimized for it you may be suprised as to how much better it might than 7.

From what I hear (I don't have multi-monitors on this workstation yet) multi-monitor support is leaps and bounds better than 7.

It isn't, sorry to burst your bubble. Works just as good as it does in Win 7, no better.

Despite my feelings on the 'Metro' UI (not quite loathing, but close) after trying the CP in VMware on my desktop, i'm currently downloading the RP x64 version. being a geek, couldn't help myself.

After installing Classic Start Menu, and figuring out how to put the "real" My Computer icon onto the desktop, I'm finding this quite nice. It feels much faster than Vista SP2 (Win7), and this is just running in a VM!

Have to say that I'm totally hating the lack of real "MS" Start Menu, and totally despise Metro. If only it could be setup so that it goes to desktop mode as default!

think i might try finding a way to do this myself. might give the 'stardock' util a go as well (start button).

Yeah, there was absolutely no reason to REMOVE functionality, especially since it is built on Win7. Metro should be an option, not a requirement that needs to be hacked around. Management at Microsoft has been brain dead these past few years. Wait for Win9.

no arguments from me on this one.

the 'creative' types @ MS remind me of the stereotypical ad men from the 80's... coked out of their skulls all the while pulling all kinds of weird shit out of their arses. MS has gone the wrong way, instead handing out big bags of 'uppers', they're handing out sheets of acid mixed with Ritalin for that kiddy UI because i'm so off my face, i need big primary colour buttons to prevent DT'ed afflicted hands from hitting everything but the desired spot on the screen.

Yea, dumbed down for the anemic arm architecture.

Windows 8 will only be good for tablets and phones. I seriously wouldn't even try or be bothered to try adapting it to a desktop. No point in getting it to look like windows 7 when we already have what we want. It's a step back to cater to what is just a toy fad. Tablets are still pointless.

personally i don't get tablets either, too heavy/bulky/awkward to be used for any length of time. too limited to do anything really useful on them. if i need mobility, i'd take a well spec'ed/large screened phone or laptop/hybrid any day of the week. i'll look forward to win8 on these devices with maybe the exception of an unmodified Metro UI on the laptop.

most of my work is on a desktop thankfully (just better ergonomics and comfort). just hope MS gets their UI team out of rehab before then to fix or at least give the consumer the OPTION to turn Metro off.

Downloaded at ~11MBps...the 3.3GB x64 version in about 8 minutes!

Took longer to transfer from my harddrive to memory stick :D

Just a FYI on a tech blog i was reading. Take this with a grain of salt, obviously, but if this is true, there may be some hope:

That’s not to say everything is in this release. Microsoft recently announced that it recognizes the problems caused by switching between Metro and the traditional desktop UI and is working on a new theme that will bridge the gap between them. However, that theme is not included. Also, while there are many more apps available in this build, the full suite will not be finalized and fully polished until the product hits retail stores.

Which makes sense because they have an "enterprise" version and it would just be silly of them to have this UI in that environment.

Link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-8-release-preview-now-available-for-download-updates/

I wonder why Hardocp is recommending this OS. I see nothing for me here. Windows 7 will serve me well into the future.

?????

We recommend that you "head on over and grab Microsoft's latest try-before-you-buy version of Windows 8" ...you know, so you can see whether or not you like it.

Reading skills FTL.

One very very cool feature you won't find in 7 though is hyper-v. I am not a huge fan of virtualbox (and what horrible things oracle is going to do to it) and vmware workstation is a bit pricey IMHO.

But having hyper-v built into the OS is a huge plus and should work just fine for most people.

?????

We recommend that you "head on over and grab Microsoft's latest try-before-you-buy version of Windows 8" ...you know, so you can see whether or not you like it.

Reading skills FTL.

We're the last of the RIF generation, amigo.

("Reading Is Fundamental" for the kids in the audience.)

Using the boot-to-vhd in Win7 to install/run Win8. Works great, amazingly fast, stable. Still hate the GD Metro UI everything, but I'll "live." :p

Some of the start bar/orb programs out there do indeed work fine in this build, I think I used one called Classic Shell I think. And yes, I still love/prefer the ole start menu, using it as a crutch when I can't easily find or get to what I need to.

I just can't see how it makes sense to use this interface with a mouse and in a desktop setting.

and before the fanatics come over with pitch and forks just because i stated my opinion, let me just say, I've pretty much used every single DE/GUI/UI starting with a TRS-80 model 1, so..

W7 is working great and who knows if the Linux camp will get their act together and take, what i think is, a good chance to go ahead on the desktop.

The San Francisco Gate is not too happy with the release preview either. It would maybe be a great tablet OS, but users are forced out of Metro into the desktop to perform several regular Windows tasks, not even mentioning running third party software. This is really a half-baked OS.

Go buy a Wii or kinect if you want to experience that..you will find that gets old in about 10 minutes when your arm gets tired.

I love change when it is a positive improvement. I don't love change for the sake of change. Win 8 is change for the sake of change and represents a step backwards in user interfaces.

I do have a kinect, and it is shitty for the xbox OS interface because its resolution is so crappy.

If the LEAP is as accurate as it appears, that won't be an issue for using gesture control with a PC. Rest elbow on desk and conduct the desktop with your wrist and fingers. Will the mouse still be used for various things? Sure. But if you're tired after wagging your finger for a few minutes... you've got worse problems than a sh*tty UI.... ;)

BB

From the SFGate article:

Worst of all, the traditional desktop is buried -- it's just another Metro app -- but there are still some things you can only do from the desktop, and some only from Metro. That means you have to switch between the two interfaces frequently. That's not nearly as smooth as it should be.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/micr...dows-users-to-figure-out-2012-5#ixzz1wZLvktO9

I would agree that this means its a half-baked OS. Win7 is working well enough that they could have spend another 6 months to a year ironing that particular issue out. Not to mention the (apparent - since I haven't played with any of the RCs or Betas) unintuitiveness of some of the functions.

BB

I'm curious to see how many people are actually planning on upgrading and making Windows 8 there next OS through thick-and-thin, or whether it'll be like Vista where after a few months/year people get so frustrated that they revert back to Windows 7.

I think the only reason why Windows Vista kept its 14-16% market share during its peak, was that more people were using it under x64 and the support for x64 was far better than Windows XP. At least that's why I stayed with Vista for 3 years.

I'm curious to see how many people are actually planning on upgrading and making Windows 8 there next OS through thick-and-thin, or whether it'll be like Vista where after a few months/year people get so frustrated that they revert back to Windows 7.

I think the only reason why Windows Vista kept its 14-16% market share during its peak, was that more people were using it under x64 and the support for x64 was far better than Windows XP. At least that's why I stayed with Vista for 3 years.

Really? I hated Vista at first due to my own failures in setting it up correctly and those non existent things from Nvidia called working drivers. After it worked I loved it and liked Windows 7 more.

I DO like Windows 8 but I have the same feeling everyone else does. While the desktop is nice, and I like the new multimon features like toolbars, seperate wallpapers, etc; the jarring change between Metro and Desktop is pretty awful.

*long ass post incoming*

The San Francisco Gate is not too happy with the release preview either. It would maybe be a great tablet OS, but users are forced out of Metro into the desktop to perform several regular Windows tasks, not even mentioning running third party software. This is really a half-baked OS.

This guy is a very good Apple sunshine pumper:

SF Gate said:
But unlike the iPad (and iPhone), which were immediately intuitive, Metro is not. A lot of the apps themselves are excellent, but as soon as you get out of the apps and into the "chrome" -- the interface of the actual operating system -- it gets weird.

I don't think he realizes how many nonsensical gestures there are on the iPad. How exactly is W8 less intuitive than the iPad? Also, chrome? There is no chrome in metro.

SF Gate said:
Worst of all, the traditional desktop is buried -- it's just another Metro app

How is the desktop burried? There is a tile front and center that says desktop. Is he blind?

SF Gate said:
but there are still some things you can only do from the desktop, and some only from Metro. That means you have to switch between the two interfaces frequently. That's not nearly as smooth as it should be.

Yes, there are settings that only lie in 1 location which is far from ideal. And having Metro apps such as the default PDF reader launch when you load a PDF in your desktop can be annoying. But as far as that goes you can still install your preferred PDF reader. And the whole "switch between the two interfaces frequently" notion is total shit. Every once in a while you may need to visit Metro if you want to change the lock screen, start screen settings, etc. (which are metro-only features)

SF Gate said:
In Metro, some functions, like opening an app or checking a checkbox, require just a tap. They actually won't work if you press down and click (like you would with a mouse). Others, like grabbing a slider to scroll, require you to click and hold with one finger, then move a second finger. Others require you to tap in a particular part of the screen, or swipe your finger from off the edge of the trackpad onto the trackpad. When you switch to the classic desktop, the functions change -- it's more like a traditional mouse, where you can click or tap. These problems may have been a result of using a laptop with trackpad, rather than a tablet -- but a lot of people are going to be using it this way, so the experience matters.

Really, it is too confusing that you click tiles once but you click shortcuts twice? (I actually have no f'n clue what he means by "press down and click" I am just assuming he means double click). Grabbing a slider to scroll behavior is ALWAYS exactly the same as it has been. I am starting to doubt this person has ever used a computer. The lack of swiping support in some apps could certainly be annoying. (I don't have the appropriate hardware to test) That said, the gestures on touchpads will be greatly improved by the time it is released.

SF Gate said:
The differences between Metro and the classic desktop seem jarring and random. The classic desktop is presented just another Metro app -- open it, and you're in familiar Windows 7 land, with a few useful updates. That's fine. But some functions of Metro still work: for instance, if you swipe from the right, you still get the "charms" that let you search the entire OS, share content, go to the Start menu, and so on. Others do not: if you do a hard click near the bottom, nothing. (In Metro, doing this takes you to useful functions like seeing all available apps, or pinning apps to the start menu.)

I guess I don't see what is so jarring about this? Does he jump out of his seat when he switches environments? The bar the comes up from the bottom of the screen is an app-dependent function, it serves no purpose on the desktop.

SF Gate said:
The classic desktop is not well integrated with Metro. I wanted to pin MS Paint (which I use to take screenshots) to the Start menu, so I could easily get to it again and again. But even though Paint is a desktop-only app, I couldn't do it from the classic desktop -- I had to go back to the Metro Start screen, figure out how to open all apps (you hover over a spot near the bottom of the screen -- not easy!), then control-click (again, not easy!) and select "pin" from the bottom of the screen.

First, he could easily just search for paint(keyboard is always quicker than the mouse). Second, you don't have to hover over anything to expose the all apps button, is he even using the same OS as me?

SF Gate said:
One of the most common complaints from reviewers of early Windows 8 builds is that Microsoft removed the Start button from the classic desktop. This is indeed a pain. There's no easy way to find which apps are available to run on the desktop. The only way I could figure it out was to go back to the Metro start screen, then swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get the All Apps menu.

The start button has nothing to do with any of this, he is just throwing random words in at this point. Viewing all apps in Windows 8 can in some cases be more efficient than W7 because navigating through the folder hierarchy that is the W7 start menu can be a pain, especially when every company organizes their start menu entries different.

This guy had never seen Windows 8 before today. I pretty can see that some of the issues he was having were with the track pad as he seemed to have snapped Metro apps not knowing what he did.

All that I see in this review is that Windows 8 isn't like the 17 year old UI in Windows 7. If Microsoft can't make changes to Windows to adapt to changing demands their doomed anyway.

You don't have to use Metro any more often than you had to click the start button before, it IS the start button now. If anything it's nicer because instead of searching a small rectangle at the bottom left of your screen for programs you have installed, you now have them all full screen to easily spot/see. People complaining about being forced to use Metro I'm pretty sure never complained about being forced to use the start menu.

And toggling it on and off takes literally a second when you hit the start key on the keyboard. No different then hitting the home button on an iPad.

W8 is not an "upgrade" to W7. It's just a different OS. One that I'm not the least bit interested in for PC's.

You said Vista...:D

You don't have to use Metro any more often than you had to click the start button before, it IS the start button now. If anything it's nicer because instead of searching a small rectangle at the bottom left of your screen for programs you have installed, you now have them all full screen to easily spot/see. People complaining about being forced to use Metro I'm pretty sure never complained about being forced to use the start menu.

its not too bad so long as I can avoid the god awfull metro screen, seems snappier than windows 7.

doesn't seem as bad as the windows 8 cp,

could be because I upgraded my windows 7 install.

still the flat look isn't too appealing on my desktop, probably fine on a tablet tho.

LOL, enjoy losing money. P.S. Enjoy your several-years-old computer, too... shame it won't run one of the best operating systems known to man, but the rest of us will try to wave to you limping behind...

one of the best operating systems known to man

best operating systems known to man

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Windows 8 is one of the most flexible OSes ever. For all of the hating millions of people everyday will using with mice, keyboards, touch, even pen on everything from 10 1080P screens to 7" touch screens and everything between.

There's simply never been an attempt to do anything like this on this scale and it's why some people are excited. It's far more than a simple incremental upgrade and it's controversial. At least people are actually talking about Windows, even if to trash it. I wouldn't even be surprised that Microsoft welcomes some of the controversy.

Back